PDA

View Full Version : how good are the lenses in the 510 kit lens

cypher6x
10-03-2007, 07:07 AM
I have been looking to possibly purchase a 510 but I am worried the kit lens will not be very good. I have seen a dual lens kit for a nice price but again, I would like quality lenses. Is it better to by the body and separate lenses or are the kit lenses good enough?

GaryS
10-03-2007, 09:47 AM
I don't have an Olympus camera, but this forum doesn't get too much traffic so I will offer my opinion.

I think the kit lens for the 510 are very good lenses, especially for the price. However, they are not very fast (meaning their maximum apertures are not very large), and they are not as well built as the more expensive lenses.

I would suggest that you get the kit lenses, and use them to gain experience. They will serve you well, and you will better know what you want in your next lenses down the road.

kgosden
10-03-2007, 02:08 PM
The kit lenses are both very good lenses. The two lens kit offers a very broad focal length range for a good price. Most reviewers have rated them at least as good as, and generally better than, kit lenses in every other system. The new lenses in the E-410/510 kits are Olympus' first real attempt to show the ability of the 4/3's format to reduce lens size and weight. They are probably somewhat less durable than the earlier kit lenses since they have switched to plastic mounts from metal. However, by the time you wear out the mount I would imagine you will have moved on to higher grade lenses.

jmaynard
10-07-2007, 06:19 AM
I've got both kit lenses for my E-410. I've since bought others, but still use both of them when they can get the job done because of their size and weight: the 11-22/2.8-3.5 is nearly as heavy as the E-410 body and 14-42 kit zoom.

Go ahead and get the kit. It's a great value.

Razr
10-07-2007, 11:16 PM
The OLYMPUS 40-150 "kit" lens is a universal surprise.
It's autofocus performance at 150mm is somewhat slow, but overall, by its peformance, the 40-150 lns falls just inside the second tier performace of OLYMPUS branded 4/3rds lens.