PDA

View Full Version : Collect all 3!! a-100, a-700 and a-X00?

Vegaboy
10-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Well, it's a nice thought. Future generations would call it nostalgic to own the first 3 sony dslr's. That being said, I don't have the money to qualify for that, so purchasing all 3 would be not be "nostalgic" but "dumb" instead.

Now, I could likely generated the funds for either the a-700 or wait and save for the a-900 or whatever it's going to be. Here's the question, what could it possibly offer, and at what price, to force myself to wait until it launches. For example, say the next body is a $2500 price point. What will that get me? The new 12.Xmp sensor with 10.8 frames per second??? What else? Full frame? Live view?

I know it's perhaps a selfish question to be asking since we just had a HUGE launch less then a month ago, BUT it's a question that has to be asked nonetheless. DO I BUY, OR DO I WAIT??

$1500cdn could nearly buy me a 70-200 2.8 with "sony" on the side. Glass is always a good investment, but I can't get over the substantial improvements on the a-700.

Knowing the new intermediate model was coming out, I wasn't even planning on looking at the preverbial "fence," but low and behold, here I am plopped right on top of it. Now which way am I gonna fall.
Trevor.

DonSchap
10-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Well, it's a nice thought. Future generations would call it nostalgic to own the first 3 sony dslr's. That being said, I don't have the money to qualify for that, so purchasing all 3 would be not be "nostalgic" but "dumb" instead.

Now, I could likely generated the funds for either the a-700 or wait and save for the a-900 or whatever it's going to be. Here's the question, what could it possibly offer, and at what price, to force myself to wait until it launches. For example, say the next body is a $2500 price point. What will that get me? The new 12.Xmp sensor with 10.8 frames per second??? What else? Full frame? Live view?

I know it's perhaps a selfish question to be asking since we just had a HUGE launch less then a month ago, BUT it's a question that has to be asked nonetheless. DO I BUY, OR DO I WAIT??

$1500cdn could nearly buy me a 70-200 2.8 with "sony" on the side. Glass is always a good investment, but I can't get over the substantial improvements on the a-700.

Knowing the new intermediate model was coming out, I wasn't even planning on looking at the preverbial "fence," but low and behold, here I am plopped right on top of it. Now which way am I gonna fall.
Trevor.

One of the major misconceptions of the A900 (or that type of pro-level camera) is that it will have all sorts of bells and whistles on it. That's just not the case. It'll have what it needs to support the sensor and photographic needs of the pro-level photographer, who wants a no-nonsense approach to his photography.

Call it: a "Minimalists camera with a lot of growth opportunity."

The A100 was a "quick and dirty proto-DSLR" to keep the Minolta consumer base in check until the new line-up of cameras could be finished and produced. It did not appeal to the pros because it really was seriously limited in any type of auxillary use for strobes and add on equipment, such as grips, added power and what not.

The A700 is the camera with all the bells and whistles. The "fun camera", if you will, that can do a hell of lot and look really nifty doing it. Everything in one package and just about perfect for the adv. consumer or even the prosumer.

The A900 will be a "working camera", which means the body is all business. Designed primarily for in studio work and on a tripod. It'll have anti-shake, but not for the same amount of use as the earlier versions. It will be more designed for "Ultra-stability"

If you want to see roughly what you will be getting, take a real good look at the Minolta 9D 35mm-flim body. That's your A900-prototype for the full-frame sensor. It will not be a A700 w/ FF sensor.

Enjoy the decision ... I'd say move on your A700 and don't look back. Waiting until April 2008 may not give you what you think it will. A better image, assuredly ... bells and whistles ... uh, no. :cool:

One need only compare and contrast the variations in design between the Maxxum 7000 and the Maxxum 9000 to see the difference between the Adv Amateur Camera and the Pro-Level Camera. Sure, there's an AUTO mode on the Pro-Level camera, but most of the time, it will never get used. Chances are, you would never expect a consumer to even bother looking at the camera, because it would be just too much work to use it.

The 7000 had the autowinder/rewinder built right into the body. It sucked up some serious power using it, too. 6-7 rolls of film and the batteries were done. It used buttons for all selections and was basically an electric camera. The 9000 was almost entirely manual operation, with knobs for mode selection, manual film crank and rewind. It operated with just two "AA" batteries and they seemingly lasted forever. Now, the 9000 had additional parts (grips, motorwinders, powerpacks, flash rigs, extended film backs) which would power it to amazing film rates and sizes. It could be "adapted" to the needs of the photographer, while the 7000 had no adaptation available. It simply was all it was going to be.

The A900 won't even have a pop-up flash. In fact, I suspect the large pentaprism to be fully removable for an optional vertical focusing screen or some other devices. It may also have the remote data transmitting system and additional high-power packs to support it and the camera. None of this stuff will be in the camera, just attachable. The camera will, again, be kind of basic and require the least amount of power to operate.

The A900 is "the engine" of a complete and adaptable system. (you can quote me on this.)

Perhaps it will even take just two regular "AA" batteries. (we can only hope), to allow the photographer access to emergency level of power.

Believe me, where the A900 might be at a lower cost, in the beginning, once you start adding the accessories ... that is where the real cost will come in. Photographer ... prepare thyself. ;)

Vegaboy
10-03-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm taking a full time photography program, and intend to make my interest into a business. I'm not exactly sure where I want to go with it yet, but I want my next camera to be able to take me there.

I am curious if the a700 is lacking anything I would want to have. Having read the specs, and used it briefly in the store I'm not sure what that would be. I guess more FPS would be nice, but not likely necessary.

DonSchap
10-03-2007, 09:37 PM
5 fps is pretty good ... unless you are into serious sports stuff and the like.

The A700 has darn near everything you could want in a DSLR. Great resolution, every JPG file size imaginable, RAW, cRAW ... cripes, where do you start? The menu system is a real attraction and three user definable modes to shoot with ... just to speed things up even faster.

It's really hard to go wrong with this one. Anything more will cost you big time.

Good luck with your new A700 :D

Vegaboy
10-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Well Don, say I buy the a700 (I will) and the next model comes out, and I really really really regret my decision, you can paypal me a few bucks for a beer to cry in.
How does that sound?
:p.
Trevor.

DonSchap
10-15-2007, 12:13 PM
It's really hard to complain about success. The more "informed people" look at this camera, the more THEY LIKE IT!

The SONY A700 is a one-stop shop. You get it all (minus "live view") and without having to invest a lot of money to get even more out of it. Just the sheer advantage of having ALL the Minolta-glass and accessories, already out there, available for your camera. It's incredible.

The camera works hard to make sure you take a good image. It will not let you take an image if you are within the MFD (minimum focus distance) of your lens. That can be both a blessing and a curse, but it is definitely fighting to keep you honest.

The Full Frame SONY DSLR camera, said to be delivered next April, is not going to be for the consumer ... and will require a much better level of understanding by the photographer. You will have to invest a lot more in the system to provide what comes effectively for free with the A700.

I won't shed a tear for anyone who buys the A700 ... you just need to know that you got the best that is out there for this price, at this time. Just get behind one and start driving ... you will see for yourself. Just remember to hang a dynamite piece of glass off it ... to really cash in. :D