PDA

View Full Version : Compact Flash / 1 GB Sandisk $59

Chad Howard
12-28-2004, 02:25 PM
I just bought a 1 GB Sandisk from Best Buy for $59 (after rebate). I'm a new D70 owner and am wondering if I should keep the compact flash card or return it for the much more expensive Ultra II.

I don't currently use raw mode, but understand the benefits of it. Will it just be too slow to deal with?

Thanks in advance.

zekeymonkey
12-29-2004, 03:24 PM
I've been using a 256MB Sandisk and a 1GB Lexar 80x with my new D70. The 80x is MUCH faster. I'm very happy with the Lexar and am glad I bought it. However, the sandisk isn't too slow to use. It won't be a problem unless you are planning on taking quick bursts of pictures.

Chad Howard
12-29-2004, 06:04 PM
Thanks! I just got back from Microcenter and got it for $45 without having the hassle of a rebate. I figured for $45 it could eventually serve as a back up if it is a little slower.

D70FAN
12-30-2004, 07:25 AM
I just bought a 1 GB Sandisk from Best Buy for $59 (after rebate). I'm a new D70 owner and am wondering if I should keep the compact flash card or return it for the much more expensive Ultra II.

I don't currently use raw mode, but understand the benefits of it. Will it just be too slow to deal with?

Thanks in advance.

The standard speed card is ok for day-to-day shooting in single frame mode, but will slow things down in continuous shooting beyond the buffer capacity of the D70.

Also when downloading the standard speed card is pretty slow, especially if you have a full 1GB card. The standard speed cards are a good backup, but you should have a 512MB, or larger, high speed card as well.
$1200+ for a high performance camera, now spend $100 on a memory card that will use that performance in the camera and downloading as well.
Hey, you paid

Chad Howard
12-30-2004, 08:44 PM
I agree whole-heartedly, but passing up a 45 dollar 1 GB was hard. And, this was a big purchase for me. I needed to buy a little time before spending more $$. I figure that I've got a lot to learn and I've never shot hi-speed anyway. I can wait a little on that one.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be watching prices and perhaps ebay for a hi-speed card.

Chad