PDA

View Full Version : I'm so lame, ugh, digicam woes

jenpopa
08-02-2004, 04:08 PM
After months of research and finding the right buyer I purchased the Minolta Dimage A1. After having owned it for five months I will not dispute that it is an amazing camera.

To be straight, I am a film girl and my regular SLR is really my baby and it is the camera that I adore and buy all the extras for. And to say it plainly, I did not fall in love with the A1. Though I have no real specific complaints, I just don't feel as though it is the right camera for me.

I always have a camera on me, no matter where I am. And the A1 just isn't very purse friendly. So I either don't bring it or I use the most massive purse I can possibly carry and lug it around. I don't feel as though I am taking advantage of all of the cameras features.

So I guess what I am thinking is that I am looking for a point and shoot camera with some manual controls, at least 3X optical zoom and good picture quality. Oh and something compact as well. I am thinking maybe the canon A75/A80 or the S410, although I am not really sure. Another reason I like the A1 is that I can take nice close up macro type shots that are incredibly sharp...I just dont know of any compact cameras with this feature. I suppose I could buy an add on adaptor and lens though.

Am I lame? I am thinking of just selling my A1 on eBay and downgrading. I swear I must be the only digital camera user who plans to downgrade. Should I just suck it up and wait it out to see if this camera grows on me?

It should be noted that I own 9 cameras and have a little obsession (although most are vintage and 8 of the 9 are film). I am also considering just buying a point and shoot camera and keeping the minolta and hoping for the best.

I realize this is an uncommon post, any advice would be much appreciated.

Ray Schnoor
08-02-2004, 04:36 PM
First of all, you are not going to get what I would consider a "compact" camera with a 7x zoom. With that much zoom, it is going to be bulky. There are several cameras that you could get which would not be a "downgrade."

Some that come to mind, which I have had experience with, are the Canon S50, Nikon 5400, Sony P93 and Sony V1. There are several others that are smaller, but these are by no means bulky.

jenpopa
08-03-2004, 09:24 PM
yes i realize i will never have those zoom capabilities if i go to a compact-mid size camera. I am just feeling somewhat silly for purchasing a camera that just doesn't make very much practical sense for me. I don't know I think i am bitter because i didn't put out the money for a dSLR and I didn't go compact I chose middle of the road- and it really doesn't satisfy me. I realize I am totally lame- i just feel stuck. I think maybe i should just save up- sell the A1, put out the cash for a dSLR and purchase a fairly inexpensive point and shoot (A80 or something) Yet here I am again- contributing to my habit of purchasing more cameras. Aye Aye Aye. I am ready for the nikon d-70 and d-100 to drop in price...wouldn't that be nice?

jamison55
08-04-2004, 06:54 AM
Don't suck it up, if you don't like the camera sell it while it still has some value. I am a semi-pro (i.e. make a little money on the side) photograher who recently made the transition from film to digital, and I've never been happier. I think you should sit down and ask yourself a couple of questions:

1) Why are you a "Film girl"? Is it the camera(s) or the medium that really does it for you? If it is the camera(s), then I think you will find that modern DSLR's are superior to film SLR's in every way. Every camera is automatically equipped with 4-6 different "films" rated from 100 to 1600 ISO, and switchable by simply pressing a button! Add in a couple of more rolls of film in the WB settings. Add in instant feedback on your focus, composition, and exposure. And total control of your images where you are not at the whim of the guy processing your film.

2) Why are you considering downgrading? Will you be happy using the smaller camera, or is it a stopgap until you can afford a DSLR?

If the answer to the first question is "the medium" (I know a few film purists that refuse to embrace digital), than you won't be happy with any digital camera. If you decide that you want a "purse camera" than the A80 is a fine choice. I used to own one myself, and I miss having a camera with that many features that could fit in my pocket!

John_Reed
08-04-2004, 07:14 AM
After months of research and finding the right buyer I purchased the Minolta Dimage A1. After having owned it for five months I will not dispute that it is an amazing camera.

To be straight, I am a film girl and my regular SLR is really my baby and it is the camera that I adore and buy all the extras for. And to say it plainly, I did not fall in love with the A1. Though I have no real specific complaints, I just don't feel as though it is the right camera for me.

I always have a camera on me, no matter where I am. And the A1 just isn't very purse friendly. So I either don't bring it or I use the most massive purse I can possibly carry and lug it around. I don't feel as though I am taking advantage of all of the cameras features.

So I guess what I am thinking is that I am looking for a point and shoot camera with some manual controls, at least 3X optical zoom and good picture quality. Oh and something compact as well. I am thinking maybe the canon A75/A80 or the S410, although I am not really sure. Another reason I like the A1 is that I can take nice close up macro type shots that are incredibly sharp...I just dont know of any compact cameras with this feature. I suppose I could buy an add on adaptor and lens though.

Am I lame? I am thinking of just selling my A1 on eBay and downgrading. I swear I must be the only digital camera user who plans to downgrade. Should I just suck it up and wait it out to see if this camera grows on me?

It should be noted that I own 9 cameras and have a little obsession (although most are vintage and 8 of the 9 are film). I am also considering just buying a point and shoot camera and keeping the minolta and hoping for the best.

Hey, if the marriage doesn't work, it's time for the two of you to face facts, and split up while there's still plenty of life left! But before you decide to divorce your A1 and upgrade to a dSLR of even greater bulk (with lenses), or downgrade to a pocketable camera of lesser capabilities, it might be worthwhile for you to await the availability of the Panasonic DMC-FZ3 camera, which will do durn near anything that you want to do in a reasonably compact size, from decent macros to 12X zoom shots of little birdies. I took its slightly larger and heavier predecessor, the FZ1, with me in a tummy pack to run in the San Francisco Bay to Breakers race this last May, and neither its weight nor its bulk seemed at all excessive there. I've also put the FZ10 in that pack, and it's still tote-able, but its weight is more noticeable. My wife carries our FZ1 around in her purse all the time nowadays. Just a thought. It's supposed to emerge around the end of this month.

D70FAN
08-04-2004, 09:07 AM

I think a lot of us have been through that same experience. I loved my Nikon FE and Minolta 3Si, and then one day about 9 years ago I started fiddling around with a Kodak D50, and I was hooked. I learned more about what I was doing right and wrong in 2 months than the 20 years before. Composition, settings, having complete control of the image before you take the shot... amazing. The prints were god-awful (640 x 480) but the versatility was unbelievable.

Now, 9 years later, after a parade of all-in-ones, I have graduated to a Nikon D70, and it is pretty much all I will need in a digital camera for the forseeable future. I can't think of anything that it can't do, so for the first time in my amature photographic life, I'm not out looking for something better, but instead I'm out looking for great locations to shoot.

Sure, a Canon 1Ds or a Hasselblad with a Phase One digital back would be nice, but certainly not necessary.

My advice is to try the Digital Rebel, and the D70. After being a film SLR user for so many years, you will be amazed a pleased.