PDA

View Full Version : Compressed Raw = We're screwed?

yewsef
09-20-2007, 02:29 AM
Greetings All,

I have a D70s and as you know its compressed RAW format is not compatible with all the free-ware or share-ware editing programs that I tried. Am I forced to buy a decent software to edit my RAW photos? arent there any free programs available on the net for RAW format editing?

I want to shoot a soccer game tonight and I really dont want to shoot in jpg format because I'm not used to shooting Sport at NIGHT! (should I stick to spot metering btw?)

So, I was thinking RAW was a must but I cant edit them. I want to impress my boss at work because he's playing there in the game and I promised him to take some decent shots lol.

Any free-ware program that can read D70s RAW format?

rawpaw18
09-20-2007, 03:10 AM
You could download trial versions of either Lightroom or NX.
It is free for 30 days at least.

yewsef
09-20-2007, 03:43 AM
You could download trial versions of either Lightroom or NX.
It is free for 30 days at least.

What is NX?

erichlund
09-20-2007, 07:34 AM
What is NX?

Capture NX is Nikons full blown NEF editor. It gives the best quality image, but it's not the best workflow tool, so a lot of pros accept a little less quality for better workflow. Capture is free for 30 days, then costs $99 (or something like that).

Nikon has also just released Nikon View NX, a free for download program. I don't know if it's compatible with the D70s NEFs. If not, the older version of Nikon View is also still available.

Both of these will allow some editing of your NEF photo, and will be able to convert to TIFF or JPG for additional editing in another editor.

yewsef
09-23-2007, 12:04 AM
Capture NX is Nikons full blown NEF editor. It gives the best quality image, but it's not the best workflow tool, so a lot of pros accept a little less quality for better workflow. Capture is free for 30 days, then costs $99 (or something like that).

Nikon has also just released Nikon View NX, a free for download program. I don't know if it's compatible with the D70s NEFs. If not, the older version of Nikon View is also still available.

Both of these will allow some editing of your NEF photo, and will be able to convert to TIFF or JPG for additional editing in another editor.

Thanks, I'll try to download the trial version :)