PDA

View Full Version : Noise Reduction?

Zeva
09-19-2007, 09:09 PM
I was wondering what good programs are good for reducing noise? and does Photoshop CS3 do it? thanks!

D Thompson
09-19-2007, 09:30 PM
I was wondering what good programs are good for reducing noise? and does Photoshop CS3 do it? thanks!

Yes, Photoshop CS3 has noise reduction (so does Bridge CS3). There are many others - Neat Image, Noise Ninja, and Imagenomic Noiseware to name a few.

Bynx
09-19-2007, 09:30 PM
I find Noiseware Pro is really good for eliminating noise. It is a plugin for Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 and I think CS3.

Rex914
09-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Noise ninja has been working pretty well for me.

- Jon

Zeva
09-20-2007, 04:40 PM
any chance you can tell me under what menu it is? thanks

D Thompson
09-20-2007, 08:40 PM
any chance you can tell me under what menu it is? thanks

Assuming Photoshop here.

Bridge CS3 - it is under the Detail tab at the bottom under Noise Reduction. There are 2 sliders - Luminance & Color.

Photoshop CS3 - Filter/Noise/Reduce Noise. If you click on the advanced tab it will let you specify strength per channel. More often than not most of your noise will be in the blue channel.

Probably not the best, but seems to be getting better with a little more control in CS3.

AdamW
09-20-2007, 09:01 PM
In my experience, the noise reduction in Photoshop is pretty much useless. I did lots of research and came to the conclusion that Noiseware, Noise Ninja, and Neat Image are all very good products, and you'd probably be quite happy with any of them. I chose the Neat Image plug-in and it works great. Easy to use, fast, and consistently excellent results.I picked that one 'cause Noiseware is Windows-only and Noise Ninja doesn't offer an education discount.

Bynx
09-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Noiseware is not windows only. It also is available for Mac.

Turn
09-20-2007, 09:49 PM
neat image works wonders for me

D Thompson
09-21-2007, 10:21 AM
In my experience, the noise reduction in Photoshop is pretty much useless. I did lots of research and came to the conclusion that Noiseware, Noise Ninja, and Neat Image are all very good products, and you'd probably be quite happy with any of them. I chose the Neat Image plug-in and it works great. Easy to use, fast, and consistently excellent results.I picked that one 'cause Noiseware is Windows-only and Noise Ninja doesn't offer an education discount.

Pretty much agree altho with CS3 it seems to me to be getting a little better. I don't use it a lot, because I seldom use anything higher than ISO400 in my shooting. I rarely need the higher ISO's. I agree with Neat Image.

AdamW
09-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Noiseware is not windows only. It also is available for Mac.

My mistake.

TheObiJuan
09-21-2007, 03:07 PM
Adobe Lightroom's noise reduction is very pleasing.