PDA

View Full Version : EVOLT, D70 and EOS 300

Jim Last
12-28-2004, 11:31 AM
All very much know for the quality of pictures and build, but where do you hang your hat? Olympus, Nikon or Canon?

As these all carry similar prices, and are aimed at the D-slr entry, which is the best offering as a starting point in D-slr and giving the best future for expansion and learning?

zekeymonkey
12-29-2004, 03:36 PM
If you are looking at buying an entry level dSLR, I would buy the dRebel or D70. I personally chose the D70. My father got the dRebel since he already had a ELAN. Both camera's are very similar and there are plenty of reviews pointing out the good and the bad of each. I personally chose the D70.

I see that you have and Olympus C-8080. Either of these cameras is much faster than the Olympus. I bought one and returned it. The next day I bought a D70. I am VERY happy.

jamison55
12-30-2004, 05:34 AM
To me it comes down to investing in a system. You are likely to upgrade your bodies, but if you make wise lens choices, they will stay with you for life. Of the three cameras mentioned, the Olympus has the fewest lens choices because of that 4:3 system that it is really trying to make work. That would exclude the Olympus if I was faced with the choice today. I believe that Canon has the best glass, so I started my system with the DReb, and plan to upgrade to the 20D in the next year (taking my lenses and flash system with me!)

D70FAN
12-30-2004, 07:19 AM
To me it comes down to investing in a system. You are likely to upgrade your bodies, but if you make wise lens choices, they will stay with you for life. Of the three cameras mentioned, the Olympus has the fewest lens choices because of that 4:3 system that it is really trying to make work. That would exclude the Olympus if I was faced with the choice today. I believe that Canon has the best glass, so I started my system with the DReb, and plan to upgrade to the 20D in the next year (taking my lenses and flash system with me!)

Actually, between Canon and Nikkor, there is no "best glass" even at the pro level. In consumer glass Canon offers better features/prices, but comparing Canon L glass to Nikkor D lenses is pretty difficult since neither fit the opposites cameras.

Having used both I could give the nod to Canon on price, but certainly not on quality. Additionally I have been seeing tremendous gains in quality and utility from Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina (the third party lens guys) as well, as Sigma is even offering an 80-400 f4-5.6 OS (similar to IS and VR) lens for under $1000.

coz
12-30-2004, 10:20 AM
Actually, between Canon and Nikkor, there is no "best glass" even at the pro level. In consumer glass Canon offers better features/prices, but comparing Canon L glass to Nikkor D lenses is pretty difficult since neither fit the opposites cameras.

Having used both I could give the nod to Canon on price, but certainly not on quality. Additionally I have been seeing tremendous gains in quality and utility from Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina (the third party lens guys) as well, as Sigma is even offering an 80-400 f4-5.6 OS (similar to IS and VR) lens for under $1000.

New to this. Can anyone tell me if the Tokina lens I used with a Nikon 8008A can be converted to operate with Nikon D-70?

jamison55
12-30-2004, 03:07 PM

I know this is a typical disagreement for us George, being on opposite ends of the Canon/Nikon fence (and the Canon flash metering SNAFU has tempted me to the dark side more than once), but take a look at the sidelines at the next professional sporting game you watch. You will see white "L" lenses prevailing.

You also made my argument for me. Canon offers superb glass at a fraction of the cost of comparable (i.e. not any better optically) Nikon lenses. This is an important consideration to me when building a system. "L" glass begins at well under $1000 for the excellent 70-200 f4, and Canon IS lenses start below $500.

I will agree with you on the third party lenses, though. I just picked up a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 Xr Di e-i-e-i-o, and I am really impressed. It is the sharpest zoom that I have used to date, is light as a feather without feeling cheap, and the price was unbelievable for the quality. I plan to replace my "kit" lens soon with the equally as reputable Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4.

zekeymonkey
12-30-2004, 08:47 PM
but take a look at the sidelines at the next professional sporting game you watch. You will see white "L" lenses prevailing.

I don't think it has as much to do with quality of lenses as it does the camera itself. If I were a sports photographer, I would go with a Canon. The reason being speed and resolution. Nikon seems to be laging in high end digital SLR's. I don't know why but that is what seems to be happening. Just compare Canon's and Nikon's high end offerings.

Canon 1DS Mark II 16.7 Megapixel 4fps $8k
Canon 1DS 11.1 Megapixel 3fps $6k

Nikon D2X 12.4 Megapixel 4fps ?
Nikon D1X 5.2 Megapixel 3fps $4k

I love my D70. However, Nikon needs to get off their but and make a camera to compete with Canon. This is ignoring film SLR's. Both companies make great film SLR's. But of course, this is like arguing Coke is better than Pepsi. Everyone has their favorite, even if they are wrong :)

D70FAN
12-30-2004, 09:30 PM
I don't think it has as much to do with quality of lenses as it does the camera itself. If I were a sports photographer, I would go with a Canon. The reason being speed and resolution. Nikon seems to be laging in high end digital SLR's. I don't know why but that is what seems to be happening. Just compare Canon's and Nikon's high end offerings.

Canon 1DS Mark II 16.7 Megapixel 4fps $8k
Canon 1DS 11.1 Megapixel 3fps $6k

Nikon D2X 12.4 Megapixel 4fps ?
Nikon D1X 5.2 Megapixel 3fps $4k

I love my D70. However, Nikon needs to get off their but and make a camera to compete with Canon. This is ignoring film SLR's. Both companies make great film SLR's. But of course, this is like arguing Coke is better than Pepsi. Everyone has their favorite, even if they are wrong :)

You missed the D2X due early 2005. 1.5X crop 12MP @5fps and 2x crop mode at 6MP and 8fps. Estimated street price $4000. A wedding in the morning and a football game in the afternoon... Same camera.