PDA

View Full Version : Changing image size

Rooz
09-07-2007, 06:01 AM
if i change the image size taken in portrait for one photo i just change it to 800px tall for example and all is ok. however if i do that i can;t apply it to another pic unless its in portrait mode. it also makes different crops look all out of wack etc.

is there a way i can reduce by percentage ? eg: reduce image size by 50% ? i use CS2 and NX.

thanx.

coldrain
09-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Try clicking on the "pixels" next to where you type in "800" in PS image size :D:cool::p

Rooz
09-07-2007, 06:56 AM
i may not have explained that right. the maximum i want is 800px. if its a portrait shot, i want it at 800px tall and a landscape shot i want it 800px wide. for the first image that is a landscape image, i change it to 800px wide but then if i run a batch that contains portrait aspect shots it screws up the proportions.

coldrain
09-07-2007, 07:05 AM
That is what the percentage is for, isn't it? In the image size dialog box just select percentage. If it is usable there, it should be usable in batch processing?

Rooz
09-07-2007, 07:11 AM
ok but if i do it that way, and i select width 800px for a landscape photo. it ends up being 800wide x 600px high which is what i want.

but when i run the batch for this on a portrait photo, it ends up being 800 wide x 1000px high. this is becasue the batch is running it as an 800w photo.

if i adjust it so its 800x600 i run into problems when i have cropped for different aspect ratios. ie: a crop i made for a 5x7 photo has different proportions to an 8x10 photo so one or the other ends up all mangled.

coldrain
09-07-2007, 07:25 AM
I do not think you can have a solution in PS with different aspect ratios.
I do that kind of conversions myself, for instance with a PHP script I wrote.
But then you can not apply USM after resizing and have to rely on the output quality of the PHP library.

Rooz
09-07-2007, 07:28 AM
i was afraid you may say that. i've tried it in NX and CS2 and i get the same result. :(

D Thompson
09-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Yes, it can be done in PS. It just takes a little creativity! I don't know how many images you want to do but here is a method to accomplish a specific resize for either portrait or landscape. Go to Automate and choose Web Photo Gallery and use the settings in the box highlighted. Once your gallery is created you can go to the folder where the images are stored and there they should be - all nicely resized to 800 pixels regardless of orientation.

Rooz
09-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Dennis, you sir are a genius ! thanks so much, thats exactly what i wanted. you just cut my processing time for web resizing down immeasurabley. i just ran that for my latest shoot and have it uploaded for customer in about 2mins for what would have normally taken me a couple of hours.

thanks VERY much. i owe you a dozen mate. http://emoticons4u.com/happy/143.gif

D Thompson
09-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Dennis, you sir are a genius ! thanks so much, thats exactly what i wanted. you just cut my processing time for web resizing down immeasurabley. i just ran that for my latest shoot and have it uploaded for customer in about 2mins for what would have normally taken me a couple of hours.

thanks VERY much. i owe you a dozen mate. http://emoticons4u.com/happy/143.gif

Glad I could help you out.