PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion, which version is better?

toriaj
09-05-2007, 10:30 PM
"Fall" #1 or #2?

"Standing Sentinel" #1 or #2?

"Rail" #1 or #2?

Comments, criticism, edits welcomed!

Prospero
09-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Hi Tori,
Nice shots. For "fall" I prefer the second. Great picture. The detail is great and you captured the autumn light real nicely. The reason I prefer this one over the other is that it shows more detail and that I find the corner where the grass ends a bit distracting.

For the standing trees one I prefer the second. The road on the right gives it a bit more depth. I am not sure if I like the orton effect here (if that is indeed the effect you used).

Then the last one. I like the first a lot. The converging lines of the fence give this shot a lot of depth, which is great.
The second shows a bit more detail in the plants. Perhaps if you would have framed it with the most prominant plants more to the right of the frame (at the rightmost third of the image, showing more of the fence), I might like it even better than the first.

tim11
09-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Fall: Like #2. More details and more subjects to see.

"Standing Sentinel": Like composition of #2. But don't like the exposure (or under-exposure?).

"Rail": Like composition of #2. I thought the flowers were the main subjects until i noticed the title, RAIL. If rail is the subject then it is overlooked by the flowers and weeds. If the flowers are subjects then I think it'd work better in 1/3rd rule - not smack right in the middle.

Since you want comments. :)

sla
09-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Hi
My first feeling: every time number two.

If I have to put a comment:
"Fall", "Sentinel": are ment to be in yellow cast?
"Standing sentinel": I would add a bit of additional light.
"Rail": the first photo is more "rail", the second one is more "flowers+rail" ;) , like Tim said.
I like the photos.
regards

Rooz
09-06-2007, 12:04 AM
i like #2 versions for all of them.

love the glow of the foliage in the first especially. you got that cool dreamy effect going on in the sentinal one. care to share the technique. :)

toriaj
09-06-2007, 12:42 AM
Thanks, I really appreciate the comments. Sla, "Fall" and "Sentinel" were shot at dusk, hence the warm cast. Rooz, the "traditional" Orton effect hasn't been working very well in my Paint Shop Pro, so I just duplicate layer, Gaussian Blur to 25 pixels, then lower opacity of layer to around 30-45%. Easy! :D

On "Rail," the flowers and plants really were the subject ;) I just ran out of titles lol ... I wish I could have framed #2 with the flowers more to the right, but unfortunately there was a bus stop in the way (literally, complete with a drunk bus-waiter who asked me how much my camera cost. I took my shots quickly and went on my way :rolleyes:)

I tried an edit without the blur, and with the exposure raised, but I really didn't like it. Maybe I'll take another shot at it tomorrow, better go to bed now ...

Thanks again for the comments.

griptape
09-06-2007, 06:56 AM
#2 for all but the last one in my opinion. I think the sky being included makes it more interesting to look at.

D Thompson
09-06-2007, 10:14 AM
just my .02

Fall - #2 wins. Nice composition & use of color. Lighting is very good. I like how the grass fronds? leads you to the flowers. #1 just has too much area lacking interest - top left quarter and bottom right quarter have no interest.

Standing Sentinel - I'm going against the majority and picking #1. I like the diagonal lines better. As you focus on the first tree my eye gets lead to the next tree, etc. taking you into the photo. To me it seems that #2 wants to lead my eye out of the photo. The pavement is a little distracting - maybe clone in grass there? I think that's another reason I like #1 better - too much pavement on the 2nd one that distracts.

Rail - I don't really prefer one over the other. I guess #2 just for the landscape orientation works better.

JLV
09-06-2007, 11:25 AM
I like 2,1, and 1.

In the second set, #2 shows to much parking lot, a distraction.

Lilchilichoco
09-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Hi Tori,

Lovely shots....dreamy glow...yummy colors!:)

I think I have a thing for vertical images, so I love all the firsts at the first go. I love the dreamy yellow glow of the first 2 sets. I think Fall 2 shows the flowers and the fern much better...but could it be because of the size difference in the images? Beautifully captured light in that one.

I love the DOF in Standing sentinel 1. Seems to me it works much better than the horizontal one, where I feel the shape of the frame gets at odds with the vertical set of trees, though there sure is more of the trees and the grass to see.

The Rail would probably work both ways. But I think I really like the deeper DOF of the first. One may work more than the other, but I love all of them.:)

Best Regards

toriaj
09-08-2007, 02:57 AM
Thanks, everyone, you've given me a lot to think about :)