PDA

View Full Version : Awful reflection- help!

Lesa
09-04-2007, 01:28 PM
I have a new Nikon Coolpix SD 5000. I'm traveling in Japan and took some pictures yesterday and suddenly, almost always when I'm taking a picture with a flash, I'm getting an awful "reflection circle" in the middle of the picture. This is ruining my shots (see the picture attached). What is going on? I took a bunch of other pictures before I left and this didn't happen...

Thanks for any help-

Lesa

coldrain
09-04-2007, 02:18 PM
I see 3 of them in that photo, one on the right more to the top, the big almost-middle one, and onw on the bottom edge.

My guess is that what you are seeing is duct just in front of the lens catching a lot of flash light and radiating that into the lens.

So, either do not flash in places where dust floats around, or get a compact digital where the flash is more offset to the lens than with your Nikon5000.

Alternativily you could construct a small "ledge" under the flash that would prevent dust that is just in front of the lens to catch flah light.
It will look dorky, but it also will do the job.

kgosden
09-04-2007, 03:41 PM
I would add that for a space as large as the posted photo a built in flash on a compact camera is pretty useless. One of the likely reasons you noticed the reflected dust more might be that the flash was at maximum output trying to light a large dark space. It looks to be 25-30 feet to the nearest surface that would be reflecting the light back to the camera. A compact like the Coolpix 5000 can really only light a subject at 8-12 feet. If your other pictures had a subject at that distance the dust reflections might still be there, but just not as obvious.