PDA

View Full Version : Olympus C-5500 Broken Display Woes

gregger
09-02-2007, 08:33 PM
I also posted this on the Olympus forum.

I paid about $320 for the camera; one year later, broke the display; paid Olympus $140 plus shipping to replace it six months ago (90 day warranty). I just broke it again.

A refurbished camera is $145 including shipping on Amazon. Is there a way I can replace the display myself at less cost than $140?

Thanks for any advice. It's a nice camera, but not $600 nice!

Prophet
09-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Man, thats a bummer, I know how you feel. Wait- I thought Olympus had a two year warranty!

The only thing that I can think of is that you may be able to find another crapped Olympus camera, maybe eBay or a local camera repair shop or something (one that has something wrong with it besides the LCD obviously) cannibalize both cameras and make them into one working camera. Keep in mind that you will probably need to get some techie tools to fix it (small soldering iron, etc) You would need to find a manual, though. Because I highly doubt that you will be able to choke a replacement LCD out of Olympus, or any other manufacturer for that matter. However, if this seems to be a big problem for you (busted LCD) then you may want to consider getting a Canon with an opposable LCD so you can close it when not in use. I busted the LCD on my very first camera, and the next one I bought I made sure that it had the opposable screen. No problems since. There are also some adhesive "Doors" that you can purchase to apply to the area around the LCD. They close, and when open they help with the glare. Keep this in mind if and when you decide to purchase another digital camera.

I have tried to take my current camera apart and got pretty far, but sometimes you run into glue etc. when taking one apart. I dont know if you would run into this trying to replace an LCD (I was trying to fix a viewfinder) or not.

I hate to say this, but a lot of todays digital cameras pretty much become disposable after you get them fixed so many times, ('cept DSLRs which rarely ever fail from what I hear) Unless you know how to fix them yourself. Otherwise, you may as well send it in. But sometimes considering the repair fees, and considering all of the aggravation it would cost you to attempt to fix it, you may as well buy a new camera.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: I'm looking at Jeff's review of the C-5500 and that LCD actually sticks out from the camera, making it more susceptible to breakage IMO. That thing screams fragility! But one of those adhesive things I mentioned would work perfectly on that.