PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help From NIKON D80 , D40 and D40x .. Users ..!

Roswell
08-31-2007, 04:52 AM
Hi all ...Members

I'm new member here and i hope to found my lost ...

i'm now CANON XTI user and i want to switched to NIKON cause my friends advice me about the NIKON has a great colors and a great lenses , i saw that and i decided to Buy NIKON and sale my CANON Camera .... but the point of my Subject is what Kind of NIKON cameras help me for semi pro ...

NIKON ... D80 , or , D40 , or , D40x ....

which one has a little noise and more options ... better than CANON XTI ( 400D ) ...

what about 55-200mm VR ... i want sample for this lens ...

and thanks a lot ...

K1W1
08-31-2007, 05:27 AM
Welcome but I'm not sure we need the large bold coloured typeface on all your posts.

The D80 would be the better bet for a semi-pro application IMO.

There is a thread about the 55-200 lens a while ago on this forum if you search you should be able to find it. Also check the recent "Picture of the day" posts. Many of mine and several other peoples posts are shot with that lens. Lastly there is a Nikkor 55-200VR group on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/groups/356195@N23/) that has over 1000 photos for you to look at.

tcadwall
08-31-2007, 07:24 AM
I agree that a D80 might be the right choice. - of course you really haven't told us much about what, where, you will primarily use the camera for.

www.bythom.com (http://www.bythom.com) is a great independent (even though maybe a tad biased toward Nikon) resource for everything Nikon.

Roswell
08-31-2007, 07:30 AM
K1W1 and tcadwall ... thanks a lot ... for helping me ...

Gintaras
08-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Roswell, I think if you use DSLR you better learn how to take pix. Otherwise you may complain about your D80 the same way like you complain about XTi now. I own XTi and IMO Canon offers great color rendition (I even tone down saturation sometime because I want more natural colors) and Canon offers a whole range of lenses from cheapo to darn expensive, the only issue is the price. Third party Sigma or Tamron also offer a range of lenses for Canon (same as for Nikon).

In my case I got a cheapo 24-105 II USM lens over kit lens, which is very good quality glass indeed, there is a slightly more expensive 24-135 USM IS version available as well. And considering price difference of D80 and XTi I would say this difference can buy you a 24-105 II USM lens. Of course D80 is somewhat more feature complete camera but not too far from XTi WHILE saving money on the body and investing in good optics could be a better idea. IMO lenses are as important as fancy camera body if not more. No camera will do its potential without a good glass.

On the rest, learning and experimenting is what DSLR is all about. For shooting in Auto or Scene mode one does not need DSLR because he may be disappointed with pix. DSLR is about taking control of your camera rather than letting camera control you.

So lean back and think twice before you jump.

PS: if you still go Nikon I agree with others suggesting D80, which is very nice camera and was high on my list too. however this will cost you a bit more money than you paid for XTi and you will get kit lens, which is good but not great... although may be better than XTi kit lens.:rolleyes:

Gintaras
08-31-2007, 09:09 AM
Roswell, and for god's sake do not mention noise here... it's a long story about Canonians vs. Nikonians because many believe that Canon CMOS sensor gives a lower noise compared even to D80 not mention D50 or D70...
Here is the link D80 comparison to XTi and Sony A100… read yourself: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond80/page21.asp

HOWEVER I do not think the noise is a real issue here for you. I would care for camera IQ where D80 is indeed a good camera... XTi is good too but I wish it had AF assist dedicated lamp like D80 instead of flash AF assist. I also wish XTi had LCD and viewfinder of D80 but then D80 costs more and that will NOT imrpove my pix.

Where I am concerned about Nikon pix quality is that Nikon cameras like reds too much. I experienced this problem since I owned their older models Coolpix 885 and 995 … And whenever camera saw red color this was coming out SO RED on pix that I threw in the towel after a few years… I so much liked Nikon sharpness and smartness… but reds were unbearable and cost me so many good pix.

At the end of the day most important factor is if YOU like your camera or not. If you do not like XTi no matter THEN just swap to D80 and get some rest.

jcon
08-31-2007, 09:34 AM
Roswell, I think if you use DSLR you better learn how to take pix. Otherwise you may complain about your D80 the same way like you complain about XTi now.

Not quite sure I see the OP "complaining" about the Canon. I personal think it's best to shoot with whatever friends or family shoot with as you can share lenses. Now, if you have already invested alot of money into one system, it would be a bit foolish to jump ship.

Out of the choices you gave, I also suggest the D80. Consider an SB flash unit as well, you will be pleased.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your decisions!

I also agree...the red font has got to go! :D

Rooz
08-31-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi all ...Members

I'm new member here and i hope to found my lost ...

i'm now CANON XTI user and i want to switched to NIKON cause my friends advice me about the NIKON has a great colors and a great lenses , i saw that and i decided to Buy NIKON and sale my CANON Camera .... but the point of my Subject is what Kind of NIKON cameras help me for semi pro ...

NIKON ... D80 , or , D40 , or , D40x ....

which one has a little noise and more options ... better than CANON XTI ( 400D ) ...

what about 55-200mm VR ... i want sample for this lens ...

and thanks a lot ...

not sure your friends are giving you great advice here. both canon and nikon have great lens', perhaps you just don;t have a very good canon lens right now. w/ regard to colour, nikon produce warmer tones and canon produce cooler tones. this can be adjusted to your liking if needed.

none of the nikon's are considerabley better for noise than the xti. the xti is slightly better than the d80. the d40 and d40x are closest in performance and some reviews say they may be slightly better but the difference is negligable. however the d40 series are not semi-pro cameras. they are entry level cams.

there are many reasons i would personally choose a d80 over an xti. but not for any of the reasons you gave in your post. if you are switching to nikon to buy a d300 then i can undersatnd but i would think very seriously b4 switching over if the the only reasons you can think of are listed in your post.

Gintaras
08-31-2007, 10:26 AM
speaking of colors here is what my XTi gives (saturation 0 and -1 and without a Circular Polarizer filter attached). and #1 shot was with kit lens!!!

jcon
08-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Good thing your using those as examples of colors and not sharpness:p

So who wants to post the D80, D40 and D40X pictures?;)

Roswell
08-31-2007, 11:23 AM
Gintaras ... I agree with everything you said about XTI camera i know it's a great camera but i'm confused about the noise it's mamke me upset ... I bought L Lens and 5omm 1.8 Lens ok , It's great but not Pro photo ... Like on 30D ... it's good photos if i catch it from this Camera so let me think more , actually I love Canon SLR ... but i'm agree with you thank you very much you ... :) ...you are wise

Roswell
08-31-2007, 11:33 AM
Not quite sure I see the OP "complaining" about the Canon. I personal think it's best to shoot with whatever friends or family shoot with as you can share lenses. Now, if you have already invested alot of money into one system, it would be a bit foolish to jump ship.

Out of the choices you gave, I also suggest the D80. Consider an SB flash unit as well, you will be pleased.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your decisions!

Thank you and ... i appreciate your advice... and i want to thinking more about it

I also agree...the red font has got to go! :D

about the colors i love red :D

Gintaras
08-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Hey Jason, WHAT sharpness do you mean??? hm............:p:p:p
NB: no PP done here!!!

Gintaras
08-31-2007, 12:33 PM
Roswell, IN CASE you easily afforded L lens WHY on earth D80 then? Just wait until 40D hits the stores and trade your 400D for 40D!!! You will get heck of a camera and probably better one than D80... and do not tell me you want to step to D3 :p

NB: either Canon or Nikon are excellent and will NOT let you down as long as you want to experiment and learn DSLR. i remember when choosing my DSLR i could not decide which one. i took XTi for the sake of its smaller size and price so as to save for lenses and etc...i could throw bigger amount but then i decided XTi was more than enough for a beginner like me.

Gintaras
08-31-2007, 12:41 PM
Jcon!!! have U seen my angry FACE??? :p:p:p

Gintaras
08-31-2007, 12:49 PM
btw, Roswell, which Canon L glass you got? in case you decide to give away your XTi may be i can cut a deal on your L glass? i mean you sell it to me with a small but reasonable discount... :confused::D

fionndruinne
08-31-2007, 04:35 PM
Rebel XTi pictures posted in the Nikon forums??? This is simply too much!

*swears profusely*

Seriously, though, Roswell, I think your problem may be in the amount of skill you currently have with your XTi, not the picture quality of the XTi itself. It's a (horrendously shaped and ugly little:rolleyes:) very capable camera and doesn't suffer from any real image quality problems. And when it comes to DSLR skills, every camera is the same. Some have a few more features, but if you're not using the features of one camera to full benefit, then you won't use the features of another to full benefit either. There's a lot of trial-and-error involved in learning a DSLR. You won't be happy with your photos right away.

About the only immediately recognizable thing a D80 will give you (or a D40 for that matter) is a better grip and more comfortable ergonomics.

Of course, if you like red so much, you'll sure enjoy a Nikon camera!

jcon
08-31-2007, 05:11 PM

*swears profusely*

Then you probably wont like whats going on in the NIKON Picture of the day thread.... ;)

Hillarious! Thats just downright funny man!:D;)

Roswell
08-31-2007, 05:23 PM
not sure your friends are giving you great advice here. both canon and nikon have great lens', perhaps you just don;t have a very good canon lens right now. w/ regard to colour, nikon produce warmer tones and canon produce cooler tones. this can be adjusted to your liking if needed.

none of the nikon's are considerabley better for noise than the xti. the xti is slightly better than the d80. the d40 and d40x are closest in performance and some reviews say they may be slightly better but the difference is negligable. however the d40 series are not semi-pro cameras. they are entry level cams.

there are many reasons i would personally choose a d80 over an xti. but not for any of the reasons you gave in your post. if you are switching to nikon to buy a d300 then i can undersatnd but i would think very seriously b4 switching over if the the only reasons you can think of are listed in your post.

Nice words ... and Thanks for your advice ... :)

Roswell
08-31-2007, 05:34 PM
Roswell, IN CASE you easily afforded L lens WHY on earth D80 then? Just wait until 40D hits the stores and trade your 400D for 40D!!! You will get heck of a camera and probably better one than D80... and do not tell me you want to step to D3 :p.

may be ... i want to step to D3 .. :D

i'm waiting now ... 40D ... after i will tell you ...:)

Thanks a lot

Roswell
08-31-2007, 05:43 PM
btw, Roswell, which Canon L glass you got? in case you decide to give away your XTi may be i can cut a deal on your L glass? i mean you sell it to me with a small but reasonable discount... :confused::D

i'm not sure , you can buy it ;) ...

now i read all comments and actually it's perfect guide and i took new informations ... about those cameras

So thanks for all ... and special thanks for who's gave me advice ...:)

but give me only 3 days and after i will let all what i decide

Roswell
08-31-2007, 05:57 PM

*swears profusely*

Seriously, though, Roswell, I think your problem may be in the amount of skill you currently have with your XTi, not the picture quality of the XTi itself. It's a (horrendously shaped and ugly little:rolleyes:) very capable camera and doesn't suffer from any real image quality problems. And when it comes to DSLR skills, every camera is the same. Some have a few more features, but if you're not using the features of one camera to full benefit, then you won't use the features of another to full benefit either. There's a lot of trial-and-error involved in learning a DSLR. You won't be happy with your photos right away.

About the only immediately recognizable thing a D80 will give you (or a D40 for that matter) is a better grip and more comfortable ergonomics.

Nice words and i agree with you thanks ...
actually i switched to NIKON cause i'm thinking to buy now any cameras of NIKON and after 6 to 9 months i want to buy D300 ... i have 400D and i didn't see my SLR camera are pro like D300 or D200 or D30 ... i saw photos of NIKON cameras it's amazing ... and i like it ... it's ok ...this my plan and because that i asked the members ...

:)

Rooz
08-31-2007, 06:03 PM
i would keep the xti until you are ready to take the next step. by that time you will be able to see the reviews of the 40d and d300 rather than guessing how good they may be. you don;t lose much money on lens' anyway if you treat them good, epecially L glass.

Gintaras
09-01-2007, 03:06 AM
i'm not sure , you can buy it ;) ...

ah, you right, i will need to sell my Jaguar for this :p