PDA

View Full Version : ebay shopping.

dxrocnxj
08-24-2007, 11:34 PM
alright, so i have had an ebay account for about a year now and to be honest, ihavent made a single purchase yet. i wanna try to find deals but im jjust so hesitant to use a place like ebay where i feel so vulnerable to so many bad things.

haha am i just being paranoid?

any specific camera dealers on ebay that have KNOWN reputations?

Rooz
08-24-2007, 11:38 PM
dylan, i have used the following ebay sellers successfully:

for lens' and camera equipment:
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Hong-Kong-Supplies_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

(i bought my 70-200 f2.8 VR from here so that should tell you how much i trust them !!)

for filters:
http://cameras.search.ebay.com.au/_Photographic-Accessories_W0QQcatrefZC12QQsacatZ15200QQsassZhvph oto

SUITEFREAK
08-25-2007, 12:27 AM
dylan, i have used the following ebay sellers successfully:

for lens' and camera equipment:
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Hong-Kong-Supplies_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

(i bought my 70-200 f2.8 VR from here so that should tell you how much i trust them !!)

for filters:
http://cameras.search.ebay.com.au/_Photographic-Accessories_W0QQcatrefZC12QQsacatZ15200QQsassZhvph oto

Do they offer USA warrantees on their products? I thought in order to get a USA warrantee you had to buy it from an authorized USA dealer?:confused:

Rooz
08-25-2007, 12:31 AM
Do they offer USA warrantees on their products? I thought in order to get a USA warrantee you had to buy it from an authorized USA dealer?:confused:

no USA warranty.

SUITEFREAK
08-25-2007, 03:00 AM
no USA warranty.

That's a bummer... Do you know of any ebayers that do offer USA warrantee?

XaiLo
08-25-2007, 03:16 AM
From what I understand from our worldwide photogs US already has some of the best pricing and service availability in the world. I would suggest maybe trying craigslist for your area and see if there's anything you want. I'm not saying there aren't good deals to be had on ebay. Personally though I'd be hard pressed to risk more than a hundred bucks there.:)

mutti_wilson
08-25-2007, 06:23 AM
I've bought my D70, 18-70mm DX, 70-300mm G, tripod and bag from ebay. All separate sellers and all work well to this day. I love Ebay.

jcon
08-25-2007, 08:21 AM
eBay is perfectly fine. Ive bought tons of expensive items there, I have also sold expensive items there, such as my Panasonic FZ20, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8, and all were fine. I do suggest you make a PayPal account and pay the auction that way, they offer a very good farud protection on eBay auctions.

If you use simple logic while shopping on eBay, you should be fine.

K1W1
08-25-2007, 03:41 PM
If you use simple logic while shopping on eBay, you should be fine.

If it looks like a steal it probably is only on ebay the buyer is usually the one being stolen from.
If it's a popular place with good buyer feedback and the prices are in line with other similar goods then there is usually not a problem.

mugsisme
08-25-2007, 08:55 PM
I sell high ticket items on Ebay, and I can give you several pieces of advice. First of all, I haven't bought from them, but Carmeta cameras is supposed to be an OK seller.

Now, if you see an auction that starts with "send us an email", run as fast are you can. It is a fake, and you will get scammed. If you have to get approved to buy the item, don't do it. If their feedback is hidden, don't do it. If they have less than 99% feedback, tread lightly. Email them a question, and see if they answer. If they don't answer their questions, then I would be a little nervous. (I don't answer on the weekends as fast as during the week, so do give them a day or two.) Make sure that their pictures are not stock pictures pulled from the company site. You want proof that they have the item.

If you are nervous about a seller, then don't do it.

SUITEFREAK
08-26-2007, 12:27 AM
Thank you all for your great info.
I checked, and a lot of the sellers like digital-shopping-network, JandKCameras, and digitalcorp don't say that they have USA warrantees in their ads. I bet they got busted in the past. (Some of these companies are listed in the "Where to buy" thread as bad sellers.) Also, most of the above say to call them, or they reserve the right to call and speak with you before sending out the cameras and to include your phone number, etc. And if they call you and can't sucker you into buying more stuff they probably reserve the right to cancel the ad. It doesn't say that, but it says in some of the ads that if they can't talk to you beforehand, they reserve the right to cancel the sale. What scam artists. One of them even asks you to fax over a copy of your ID! That's one thing with Ebay, you gotta read the fine print. It's incredibe because a lot of these sellers have 98% and higher ratings! I bet people don't even know (or care?) that they aren't ordering a genuine USA camera.
SunshineElectronics and Cameta do say they have USA warrantees in their ads unless the camera they are selling is used, then it says 1 year in store warrantee.
Mugsisme, how do you like your 18-200VR lens? I'm waffling back and forth between just getting that or getting the regular kit and the 70-300VR .

jcon
08-26-2007, 12:42 AM
Mugsisme, how do you like your 18-200VR lens? I'm waffling back and forth between just getting that or getting the regular kit and the 70-300VR .

Get the kit and 70-300VR, that 70-300VR is an outstanding lens!

K1W1
08-26-2007, 12:52 AM
JandKCameras,

J & K Cameras are associated with a New York company called Best Price Cameras who are the absolute worst camera reseller in the world if not worst reseller full stop.
DO NOT under any circumstances have anything to do with J & K Cameras.
If you want some reading that will give you nightmares start here (http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikond50/discuss/72157601604801340/) and follow all the links.

SUITEFREAK
08-26-2007, 04:07 AM
J & K Cameras are associated with a New York company called Best Price Cameras who are the absolute worst camera reseller in the world if not worst reseller full stop.
DO NOT under any circumstances have anything to do with J & K Cameras.
If you want some reading that will give you nightmares start here (http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikond50/discuss/72157601604801340/) and follow all the links.

Thanks for posting that! It sure did lead me to a lot of great info, and forums I never knew existed.
:)

dxrocnxj
08-26-2007, 09:22 AM
yeah i almost bought from there til it got really suspcious.

he tried to throw me all this add on extra non sense that i didnt want with my camera. but that was before i even knew this website so i guess i have an excuse for even talking to those people:D