PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Olympus 10X Zoom, C-770 or C-765

grandma karla
08-02-2004, 06:41 AM
I am looking at purchasing my first digital camera and think I like the Olympus 10X Zoom C-770 or C-765. I really want the zoom capabilities.

Any thoughts are either of these cameras is greatly appreciated.

D70FAN
08-02-2004, 06:52 AM
I am looking at purchasing my first digital camera and think I like the Olympus 10X Zoom C-770 or C-765. I really want the zoom capabilities.

The 700 series are nice cameras, but (in my opinion) Olympus needs too look at updating them with image stabilization to remain competitive.

Currently in the same general price range are the Canon S1 IS (10x), and the Panasonic FZ10 (12x). In the next month or so we expcect that Panasonic will introduce a whole new line of image stabilized FZ cameras as will Minolta in their Z3. I would expect that this will forsce other ultra zoom manufacturers to offer this feature as well.

Specific models to look at when they arrive: Pansonic FZ3, FZ15, FZ20 and Minolta Z3. Existing IS cameras (below $500) Canon S1 IS, Panasonic FZ10.

John_Reed
08-02-2004, 08:41 AM

I agree with my esteemed colleague George, and would just add that, although there are many happy users of the Olympus cameras you mentioned, these newer cameras with Image Stabilization features that George mentioned are particularly beneficial for the older market, those folks for whom taking a long-zoom photo without a tripod may be nearly impossible. They provide benefits all the way across the spectrum, but as a shaky-handed older guy myself, I really appreciate not having to carry a tripod around!

james morgan
08-02-2004, 09:33 AM
as a 68 year old lurker the flogging of panasonic is well done to death here this was taken hand held yesterday.and if shutter speed gets credit then thats the whole idea.
james morgan

http://www.pbase.com/image/32056367

D70FAN
08-02-2004, 10:39 AM
as a 68 year old lurker the flogging of panasonic is well done to death here this was taken hand held yesterday.and if shutter speed gets credit then thats the whole idea.
james morgan

http://www.pbase.com/image/32056367

Nice Picture. And at 1/400 sec on a bright, sunny day, one would hope you don't need Image Stabilization. I wonder what that same shot would look like on a cloudy day at 1/100 sec..

If a good freind asked you which camera to buy, the S1 IS or the C770, what would you tell them?

The reason we do keep flogging the Panasonic, and Canon, Ultra-Zooms, is that they offer more camera for your hard earned money. And we get the same questions over and over again. So we have to answer them over and over again.

To conclude: We generally recommend that people try several cameras before they buy. We read a lot of camera boards and information, and in some cases we go to a camera store and try them in person. By doing this we can learn a lot about reliability, and usability. The end question is: Would I buy that camera?

Personally, I have a Sony DSC-S85, a Nikon CP990, and a Nikon D70. If I could justify/afford them I would own a Canon A75, Canon 1Ds, and a Panasonic FZ10 (Now FZ15). Reasons: All lead their class.

The reason I don't have them is:

A. The CFO won't approve.
B. My credit card won't approve.

In the case of Grandma Karla, I stated that, in my opinion, the S1 IS, or FZ series would be a better choice. The jury is still out on the Minolta Z3. If Olympus would add IS to their Ultra-zoom line-up I would have no problem recommending them along with the rest.

There are hundreds of good, usable, digital cameras out there, but (again in my opinion) there are only a dozen that really shine.

james morgan
08-02-2004, 10:50 AM
About three people constantly singing from the same sheet just is tedious i will close at that.

james morgan

John_Reed
08-02-2004, 11:13 AM
That's a great shot, James; nothing to complain about there. I'm not sure that I would've been able to accomplish the same sharpness without IS; evidently you're steadier than I. But I wonder, do you have any handheld shots to share taken at full telephoto at a slower shutter speed than 1/400? I've seen a lot of great shots from Oly zoom cameras, but not many at slower shutter speeds. Actually, the one Oly zoom camera that set the trend for the rest to follow was the C2100UZ, which is no longer in print, but which people still swear by today as the best one out there. Sorry about "flogging the panasonic to death;" for a long time, it seemed like no one had even heard of the Panasonic line, so a little horn-blowing seemed to be in order. Now, their visibility seems to be rising, so maybe it's time to put on the mute!

D70FAN
08-02-2004, 11:14 AM
About three people constantly singing from the same sheet just is tedious i will close at that.

james morgan

I agree 100%. We would love to change the song. Suggest a new tune.

Seriously, what would you suggest?

james morgan
08-02-2004, 03:22 PM
o.k. i said i would finish at that but i am only human.i had fz10 for acouple of weeks and returned it icould not get consistant metering do i condemn panasonic?no.i had fz2 great wee camera.itried nikon coolpix 5700 and returned it a great camera but i could not feel comfortable with it.in what little good weather we get i am concentrating on oly c5060 and i feel ok with it .the oly c740 is rarely used but on reduced contrast and sharpness its fine.so i could only find 3 files and only one full zoom a tripod i am really too embarresed to use.these three samples are not other than reduced altered.ihave posted them on pbase and will take them off at weekend
http://www.pbase.com/image/32111907
http://www.pbase.com/image/32111487
http://www.pbase.com/image/32111461

live and let live i say oly do make decent cameras its the people that are problem espescially me

John_Reed
08-02-2004, 03:51 PM
o.k. i said i would finish at that but i am only human.i had fz10 for acouple of weeks and returned it icould not get consistant metering do i condemn panasonic?no.i had fz2 great wee camera.itried nikon coolpix 5700 and returned it a great camera but i could not feel comfortable with it.in what little good weather we get i am concentrating on oly c5060 and i feel ok with it .the oly c740 is rarely used but on reduced contrast and sharpness its fine.so i could only find 3 files and only one full zoom a tripod i am really too embarresed to use.these three samples are not other than reduced altered.ihave posted them on pbase and will take them off at weekend
live and let live i say oly do make decent cameras its the people that are problem espescially me
I agree that Oly makes decent cameras. With 35mm film, I used to use them exclusively, from the OM-1, OM-2 (my daughter still uses and loves my old OM-2), and finally an IS-3, and my first digital was also an Oly, a gift from my wife. As I said before, they pioneered (through Canon licensing) the IS field with their C2100UZ, but that was their last camera to offer that feature, and it was high-priced and relatively big. Their C-7xx zoom cameras are small and very popular, and still heavily advocated by camera shop salesmen. But I've yet to see any handheld, low-speed photos posted like this one, shot with my FZ10 at 1/15 at a little over 10X telephoto:
http://john-reed.smugmug.com/photos/5798519-M.jpg
Thanks for posting your photographs!

aldon
08-04-2004, 03:18 PM

I bought a C765 a few weeks ago and am really happy with it. It's very versatile, nice big 10x zoom but also very close macro. Full manual controls (shutter speed/aperture/focusing/white balance, etc), too, if you like that sort of thing.

Most importantly, it takes very nice, sharp pictures. I also find it is a nice size and shape for my hands, which are quite small. I think it's the smallest of the superzooms available and slips into my jacket pocket.

To be honest, when I was first gathering information on which camera to buy, I hadn't even heard of image stabilisation so it wasn't really a big issue for me. But when I discovered the FZ10 had this feature, I did consider very seriously going for it. However, the FZ10 costs 50% more (in the UK) then the C765, so ultimately, I decided it wasn't worth the extra money.

The way I viewed the image stabilisation was that I'd lived this long without it on my previous film cameras so didn't feel an overwhelming need to have it, especially at a significantly higher price. I guess it's one of these things that once you've had it, you can never go back, but if you've never had it, you don't miss it. A bit like power-steering - my car doesn't have it and I don't drive around wishing I had it.

I've also heard mixed opinions about just how much benefit IS offers, from next to nothing to 3 stops.

However, IS it's clearly becoming a standard feature on super-zooms so when I upgrade in a few years, I'll definitely have it on my list of desirable features. No doubt the technology will have advanced somewhat by then, too.

I don't know which country you're in but I would say that if you can get the FZ10 for around the same price as the C765, the FZ10 does offer that little bit more (it's a 12x zoom, f2.8 throughout the entire focal range and image stablisation) and most owners seem to be full of praise....so wait for it's successors - the FZ15 and FZ20 which are due out very soon - and see how they compare.

D70FAN
08-04-2004, 03:43 PM
However, IS it's clearly becoming a standard feature on super-zooms so when I upgrade in a few years, I'll definitely have it on my list of desirable features. No doubt the technology will have advanced somewhat by then, too.

Not only on super-zoom,all-in-ones, but for the dSLR pro's as well. Nikkor and Canon both have a recent family of IS lenses in the $600 to $1700 range. And none are even close to f2.8 35mm to 420mm. So you can see what a bargain IS super zooms are.

Not exactly and apples to apples comparison, but hopefully you get the gist that this is not just a passing fad.