PDA

View Full Version : Getting focus in an action shot

GravyTrain
08-21-2007, 01:35 PM
i've had my canon s3 for a month or so and i have a question:
what's the best way to get good focus in an action shot?

whenever you have your subject either coming at you or moving away from you, what do you do? do you pre-focus on something on something that will be the same distance as you're subject? or do you just put it in continuous mode and fire away?

thanks

David Metsky
08-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Burst mode and occasionally re-acquire focus. I use my S3 for shooting skiing and it seems to capture focus well in bright light.

reppans
08-23-2007, 07:00 PM
... pre-focus on something on something that will be the same distance as you're subject?...

and use burst mode

griptape
08-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Yep, I always left mine on continuous mode and re-set the focus as often as I thought I accurately could. It works great if you don't mind throwing away 15 pictures to get a keeper. As cheap as SD cards are, there's no real excuse not to over shoot.

GravyTrain
08-24-2007, 10:06 AM
thanks for your replies. no, i don't mind shooting a bunch of shots to get one good one.

Pave
08-27-2007, 04:46 AM
I personally do both. Sometimes I just use burst mode and hope at least one or two of the pics will come out ok. I usually do this with fast moving objets such as planes during landing/taking off. The preset focus to certain distance I usually use for pictures of something moving not that fast...like slower moving cars etc...
If there's some better way, anyone please correct me :)