PDA

View Full Version : Question about vignetting

Aviller
08-01-2004, 08:02 AM
In a couple of pics (say 4 out of 300) I noticed some vignetting. I doubt that anything's wrong with my camera, I'm just wondering what could be the reason for vignetting?

John_Reed
08-01-2004, 08:39 AM
In a couple of pics (say 4 out of 300) I noticed some vignetting. I doubt that anything's wrong with my camera, I'm just wondering what could be the reason for vignetting?
You didn't say what camera you're using, or what filters/extensions you may have attached? Wideangle or telephoto vignetting?

Aviller
08-02-2004, 03:52 AM
I use a FZ10, UV filter (+72mm lens hood)...on the very few pictures that I have noticed some vignetting, I usually used little to no zoom.

jamison55
08-02-2004, 06:29 AM
Were you using the hood with no zoom (i.e. the wide angle setting)? That might be your answer. You shouldn't need the hood unless you are shooting a backlit subject...

Aviller
08-02-2004, 08:42 AM
I think it was little to no zoom. So would you suggest that I took it off? Does the quality deteriorate w/o a UV Filter? Again, I've taken numerous pics with this cam (own it since Jan 04) and the vignetting appears in hardly any shots. I guess it's got something to with the lighting situations...I'll try to find a couple of pics.

John_Reed
08-02-2004, 08:44 AM
Were you using the hood with no zoom (i.e. the wide angle setting)? That might be your answer. You shouldn't need the hood unless you are shooting a backlit subject...
I agree with this, and would also add that you should NOT use the hood when taking flash photos with the built-in flash, just as an aside.