PDA

View Full Version : The hardest thing I've encountered so far

Paradox
08-17-2007, 10:10 AM
How do you get pictures of infants in low light? Obviously, infants are always on the move. And low light forces a slower shutter speed, even with the apature wide open and the ISO cranked up, leading to both noise from the ISO and motion blur of the subject. I was just wondering if any of you had any tips for this rather irritating type of photography, as my niece is coming over today. :)

Prospero
08-17-2007, 10:44 AM
If high ISO and apperture wide open do not give enough light, there are really only two things you can do

1. Get more light in the room. Switch on all the lights there are, get some lights from other rooms, light all the candles :).

2. Use flash. This is probably easier, but you may get annoying flash shadows. For natural results, you could try to create a homemade diffuser for your pop up flash. If your camera has a hotshoe, you may get yourself an external flash which you can bounce on the ceiling. This makes the light much more natural.
Remember to use flash whitebalance. With auto whitebalance your picture may get a bluish cast.

David Metsky
08-17-2007, 10:46 AM
1) Use a camera with great low light performance so you can push the ISO up really high (Fuji or DSLR)

2) Use the flash

3) Push ISO and aperture as far as you can on your existing camera

That pretty much sums up your options.

griptape
08-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Buy an f/1.8 lens, use ISO 1600 in raw, and shutter speed around 30 (if you can hand hold it).

Paradox
08-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Luckily I evaded the job this time as she was asleep most of the time, but next time I'll take it all into consideration.

Bynx
08-20-2007, 10:59 AM
Next time try to get as much natural light in the room. Use a large mirror near the window if you have to bounce the light. Use fill flash to remove any unwanted shadows. Keep your shutter speed around 1/125 minimum and dont go overboard on your ISO setting. You dont want noisy (grainy) pics.

tim11
08-20-2007, 03:40 PM
If you haven't got it already, buy an external flash for your FZ50. The IQ is million-dollar different when shot with bounce flash. Children will get used to the flash going on and off after a while and they won't be bothered by it and you will still be able to get some candid shots.
Also I suggest replacing your light bulbs with compact fluorescent if you want some images without flash; you will get much more brightness for the same wattage - I get one stop difference. But even then you will have to use higher ISO settings and put up with the noise.
I doubt you can get 1/125s inside anyone's house.