PDA

View Full Version : Slow shutter speed

Cchew
08-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Lets say for a waterfall shot, how do I use the slow shutter speed properly without making the picture over exposed??

thanks

griptape
08-14-2007, 03:40 PM
A neutral density filter.

fionndruinne
08-14-2007, 03:48 PM
What about a smaller aperture?

JLV
08-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Lets say for a waterfall shot, how do I use the slow shutter speed properly without making the picture over exposed??

thanks

A slow shutter speed does not mean under exposure. Set your camera to the lowest ISO. Then you can pick a shutter speed and F stop that will be properly exposed. Depending on your camera, you may be able to choose shutter priority or manual mode.

pagnamenta
08-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Lowest ISO speed, smaller aperture (larger f-stop #) and if you're still over exposing, then you'll need to look at a neutral density filter.

toriaj
08-14-2007, 11:02 PM
Another tip is to shoot the falls after sunset, or at least when the falls are shaded. That helps to reduce the light so you can achieve a longer shutter speed without overexposure.

And, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've had the best success getting the "milky, blurry" water look if the actual water takes up a large part of the frame (something like 1/4, or 1/5 of the frame or more.) If I'm taking a more wide, panoramic view, with just a little stripe of waterfall, then you can't really tell that the water is blurred. So that means, get as close to the falls as you can! (But don't fall in, I just about did once, tripod and all :))