PDA

View Full Version : PocketWizard Plus II

DonSchap
08-10-2007, 09:24 AM
A couple of weeks ago I invested in wireless flash triggering and camera release. I decided to go with the PocketWizard Plus II, the newest transceiver on the market.

Aside from working between themselves, the units also work with the PocketWizard MAX (which I don't have), so compatibility is preserved and you can channelize and optimize your setup accordingly.

A couple of things ... cables that is. Each device, itself, comes with a PC cable to wire between the PC-port of the camera body and the input trigger port of the Plus II.

Now, how about the other end? Good question. It's wallet time!

In order to trigger the 750W strobes with this device, one strobe must be in SLAVE mode through the wireless sensor ... so that the MASTER 750W will simultaneously trigger it to flash. The "MASTER" requires another little "sync cable" between it and the Plus II.

How much for the additional cable? Another $30

And then, if you want to use these devices to trigger your camera, remotely ... yep, another cable is needed: Either the motor release cable ($80) or the Pretrigger cable, which keeps the camera from going to "sleep", while you are setting up ($140)

It works pretty well...

So ... it is an investment in wire ... to be sure. :rolleyes:

And there you have the hidden costs of going "wireless."

TNB
08-20-2007, 07:27 PM
I've actually been looking into both the Pocket Wizard MAX and the Plus II--the MAX since it's my understanding that some of the professional stadiums/arenas can "assign" a frequency channel to access their lighting. And since I figured that if I were to go the studio lighting route (which I'm now leaning toward after trying to trigger an SB-800 in the comander mode while in the field), I could use the less expensive Pluses on the studio lights.

Of course, you have already mentioned that the PWMax is compatible with the PWP. My question then is has anyone used the PWMax with Elinchrom D-Lites? +/- Elinchrom D-Lites?

RED_Partizan
09-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Some bump here.

Do they come in pairs? The Pocket-Wizard Plus II that is