PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 150 f/2.8 Macro HSM

aparmley
07-28-2007, 09:45 PM
I just about ordered this lens about 10 days ago. I had my cart full and was ready to check out and I decided to remove this lens and just be content with my current order . . . maybe next paycheck I told myself.

Well, I'm glad I told myself that because everything was stolen off my porch last friday (the 20th). I had three different deliveries that day, 2 from B&H. I was so excited at work that day knowing that my packages were going to be waiting for me at home. Imagine how quickly my excitement vanished when I came home to an empty porch. :eek: Well, BH tells me that I have 7-10 days to wait until my claim goes through, then they'll reship to a different address. As of yesterday it was a week and I have another week to wait it appears. I'm so freaking pissied off about all of this.

So, to celebrate that I did not have this lens stolen off my porch - post some recent Macros shot with this bad ass lens as its going to be my next purchase I think.

What are your opinions on this baby - hows the working distance? Let me hear it!

achuang
07-28-2007, 09:58 PM
That really sucks Andy, I'm surprised that they just left the packages on the porch. I guess I'm just used to the Australian postal system. If nobody's home then they take it back to the post office and leave a card at your door saying that a package can be picked up from the post office. Hope you get the stuff soon. The only person I know that has that lens is Rooz, and he's been capturing some great macros lately especially with off camera SB600 and SB800. The only complaint that he had about the lens was that it wouldn't work with off center focus points.

Rooz
07-29-2007, 01:20 AM
man that is bad luck andy ! i have my gear delievered to a post office box btw. that way the post ofice keep it out back and slip a ticket in my box when its arrived.

i love the sigma. it has incredible contrast, accurate colour and SHARP. the build quality, hood and collar are exceptional for a 3rd party lens. on the downside its quite heavy and as achung pointed out, i have had some issues with AF at the extreme points of the d80 but onlly with macro.

when there is lots of light for portraits or not-so-close up then i have no problems. i was trying to figure out why this is but havent found a definitive answer. the tamron never had an AF problem at any time at any of the AF points so maybe the sigmas longer focal length needs more contrast to lock in. i dunno. the person i bought it off ran it on a d200 and he had the exact same problem. the nikkor 105VR that he upgraded to has no such issues he tells me.

anyway...here's a few to whet your appetite. :)

Rooz
07-29-2007, 01:53 AM
btw: all these shots were taken with B+W UV filter. i tried with and without and there is absolutely no difference in the IQ or colour cast. a vast difference between this filter and the old hoya $20 one i used to have on my lens' 10 years ago.

jcon
07-29-2007, 02:01 AM
UPS is notorious for just leaving packages on door steps. I had a seasonal job with them, and truth be told, they really dont care, even on signature required deliveries. Now I dont know for certain if they were your carrier that day, but it wouldnt surprise me!

Glad to hear BH is being so understanding. Ive heard people having to PROVE they didnt receive the package before when issues like this would arise!

In the end, sounds like its going to fix itself for you.

XaiLo
07-29-2007, 08:58 AM
That really sucks man, DHL is notorious for not even knocking or knock+drop+leave... darn shame when you can't trust your nieghbors. :( glad to here it's going to be resolved for you. :)

aparmley
07-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys. Yes it was UPS. UPS always leaves things on my porch and I live in a neighborhood that you don't want anything left on your porch. But, in the past its never been an issue. UPS leaves a $1,300 camera on your porch right down to a $30 bag - They don't care.

I don't know how one would prove that the packages were stolen - I think if they could they might have a few job offers to consider. In order to prove they were stolen - you'd have to recover them wouldn't you or at least have survelance of them being taken?

I like to think what helps is my order history with B&H. I've have ordered most everything from them, XT, D80, nearly all of my lenses, flashes, etc. Now I have a relatively small $ order(s) go missing. I like to think they see the value in helping me out with this problem. After all, if I were going to pull a fast one over on them, it wouldn't be to try and get a free lightstand bag ($30). :D They'll go a long way in making sure I spend most of all my photography money with them if they resolve this issue. Given my order history, if they handle this the wrong way, I'd be inclined to seek a new photography retailer.

Nice photos Rooz. . .

I sorta torn between the Sigma and the 105 VR.