PDA

View Full Version : ISO settings

adwhite0704
12-23-2004, 02:12 PM
I typically shoot with my Canon 20D in ISO 1600 (indoors with available light). I am using 8 megapixels. Do you know how large I can print these photos without showing too much noise? How about ISO 800? Is there a chart anywhere?

Thanks.

jaykinghorn
12-24-2004, 10:08 AM
I've never seen a chart with that information simply because the designation of "too noisy" is entirely subjective like "too sweet" or "too spicy". You will most certainly have less noise at a lower ISO setting, which will translate into a cleaner print. Are you able to use On-camera flash or a tripod to bring your ISO into the 200-400 range? Your next option is to invest into a noise reduction program like Noise Ninja. It does a good job of removing a significant amount of digital noise. Not as good as if the image had been shot at ISO 200, but a significant improvement.

I believe they have a demo version on their website. www.picturecode.com

Best of luck.

Jay Kinghorn
RGB Imaging

adwhite0704
01-08-2005, 12:58 PM
I am taking pics of babies and children who are quite mobile, so a tripod will not work in my situation. My photographs are all with natural lighting, so I do not use a flash. Thanks for the info on the software...I will look into that. I guess I'll just have to have some prints made to see what they look like.