PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 18-125 Continued

azsooner
12-23-2004, 07:32 AM
I would have posted this as a reply to the Sigma 18-125 thread but for some reason I couldn't get the reply thread to work correctly. Anyway...

Here I am ready to pull the trigger and purchase a D70 and you all throw another option at me. I originally made the decision to stay with Nikkor lenses because of so many reviews that I read (all be it on other sites) that spoke very poorly about using non-Nikon lenses on Nikon cameras. However, it seems you all are saying this specific lens is as good if not better than the 18-70DX kit lens.

I am concerned with the comment tksuther made regarding skin tones. Has any one else seen this issue? I donít plan to take portraits but this will be the only lens I will have for quite a while so there will be several vacation, kid shots, etc. I decided I would rather spend money on Nikon Captuer 4.1 and Color Efex Pro software rather than a second lens for now. Let me know if you think thatís a bad decision.

I guess my real question for those of you that have used the lens. Would this be the one lens you would pick if it would be your only lens for about a year?

Jeff

D70FAN
12-23-2004, 08:02 AM
I would have posted this as a reply to the Sigma 18-125 thread but for some reason I couldn't get the reply thread to work correctly. Anyway...

Here I am ready to pull the trigger and purchase a D70 and you all throw another option at me. I originally made the decision to stay with Nikkor lenses because of so many reviews that I read (all be it on other sites) that spoke very poorly about using non-Nikon lenses on Nikon cameras. However, it seems you all are saying this specific lens is as good if not better than the 18-70DX kit lens.

I am concerned with the comment tksuther made regarding skin tones. Has any one else seen this issue? I donít plan to take portraits but this will be the only lens I will have for quite a while so there will be several vacation, kid shots, etc. I decided I would rather spend money on Nikon Captuer 4.1 and Color Efex Pro software rather than a second lens for now. Let me know if you think thatís a bad decision.

I guess my real question for those of you that have used the lens. Would this be the one lens you would pick if it would be your only lens for about a year?

Jeff

After buying the Sigma 18-125 DC, and using it as my everyday shooter for about 4 months, I sold my Nikkor 18-70 AF-G DX "kit" lens. Whatever minor differences there may be at the extreme settings on these lenses (and there are none that I have found), the Sigma wins on reach alone. Build quality is the same.

Are there better lenses out there? Oh, hell yes! And I wish I could afford them all, but none with the day-to-day utility of the Sigma.

The only other lens I use on a regular basis is a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AF-D that I bought, used, for $60 (I love this lens). I also have a Nikkor 70-300 AF-G that works well, but I rarely have need of the long telephoto, and it sees duty about once or twice a month, but for $150 it serves it's purpose.

I have tried the Nikkor 24-120 G ED-IF VR (about $500), and the Tamron 28-300 XR Di LD (about $400), and liked both of these lenses, but neither was better than the Sigma overall, and both lack the 18mm bottom end that I use very frequently for interior shots and broad landscapes (i.e. Grand Canyon).

As for buying software in leu of a second lens... probably an ok choice. I prefer Photoshop, but that's just me, as I frequently use Photoshop plug-ins when post processing.

Hope this helps.

Bon Foto.

azsooner
12-23-2004, 08:17 AM
George,

Thanks that helps quite a bit. I'm going to place the 50 and 70-300 lenses on my list for later.

Now I need to stop reading and make my purchase!

Jeff

D70FAN
12-23-2004, 08:37 AM
George,

Thanks that helps quite a bit. I'm going to place the 50 and 70-300 lenses on my list for later.

Now I need to stop reading and make my purchase!

Jeff

Glad to help. The nice thing about dSLR lenses, is that if you don't like them you can generally return them (in a reasonable amount of time) and get something else.

Additionally if you have a decent camera suppy store, in your area, you can generally rent equipment (incuding lenses). I did this when I needed an 80-400 VR one week-end and didn't have $1500 handy.

Yes, I could have used my 70-300 AF-G for this, but I didn't feel like lugging my tripod all over the desert. So for $35 (and security deposit) I got to goof around with a (very) nice, image stabilized, lens. Unfortunately the (wildlife) shoot was cancelled due to weather. When it rains in the desert, the critters stay home, and it gets pretty dangerous due to flash flooding out in the boonies.

Anyway, whatever lens you choose, just have fun.

4walls
01-05-2005, 07:54 PM
I was reading somewhere that the Sigma 18-125 DC lens is a digital lens so that
18mm is REALLY 18mm when mounted on a dSLR.

Is this true, or does the magnification factor still apply, making the 18mm end of
the lens = 27mm?

eagle17
01-05-2005, 08:44 PM
The crop factor does still apply. however the "Digital lens" is generally much smaller than a standard lens of the same reach.

4walls
01-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Ya, I thought so.

I am buying a D70 and considering the Sigma lens instead of the Nikon lens.
I have heard the Sigma is a little slower in focus and a little louder as well.

I would love to see some good comparisons in pictures. Same scene with
each lens. Anyone got something like that?

/4walls
Vancouver, Canada

4walls
01-07-2005, 10:00 AM
Got the D70.

Went with the kit lens.

Shot some pics with both lenses.

Sigma pics came out with a pink hue.

Colors were more true with the Nikon lens (at all f/stops and focal lengths).

Sigma was noisy focus and slower.

These were my observations anyway....

...oh and the Nikon lens has 2 years more warranty.

4walls
02-11-2005, 02:37 PM
OK, I changed my mind.

I returned the camera with the kit lens and picked up a D70 body
with a Nikon 28-200 f/3.5~5.6 ED lens. This is a great lens. I will
miss the 18mm wide end of the kit lens, but this is a good walkaround
lens and nice and sharp too.

The kit lens was faster focus, but I wanted the longer telephoto.

D70FAN
02-11-2005, 03:54 PM
OK, I changed my mind.

I returned the camera with the kit lens and picked up a D70 body
with a Nikon 28-200 f/3.5~5.6 ED lens. This is a great lens. I will
miss the 18mm wide end of the kit lens, but this is a good walkaround
lens and nice and sharp too.

The kit lens was faster focus, but I wanted the longer telephoto.

Here are a few pictures taken with the Sigma 18-125. The only negative I have seen so far (in about 1500 shots) is a little vignetting at 125mm running wide open. Most of the pictures I have posted on smugmug are using the Sigma (a Few are using the Nikkor 18-70).

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/gallery/197044

Tamron is introducing an 18-200 this spring so I'm hoping that it will equal the current batch of consumer compact zooms. If so, I'll be $400 poorer. ;)

4walls
02-11-2005, 04:06 PM
18-200 coming from Sigma... I would buy that!

D70FAN
02-11-2005, 06:56 PM
18-200 coming from Sigma... I would buy that!

Tamron has been putting together some pretty decent lenses as well. The 28-300 which is the base for the 18-200 was a nice lens, not great, but nice if used within it's capabilities.

Like I said if it works well I'll own one.

4walls
02-14-2005, 09:39 AM
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021402sigma18-200dc.asp

D70FAN
02-15-2005, 02:14 PM
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021402sigma18-200dc.asp

Thanks for that input. I guess Sigma had to counter the Tamron attack. It should be interesting to see who wins. If it's as good as the 18-125 has been on my D70, then it's definately a winner.

Looks like there might be a used Sigma 18-125 (or more) on the market shortly... ;)

Cold Snail
02-18-2005, 07:06 AM
Looks like there might be a used Sigma 18-125 (or more) on the market shortly... ;)

Give me a shout when it happens.

gary_hendricks
02-20-2005, 09:29 AM
Thanks for that input. I guess Sigma had to counter the Tamron attack. It should be interesting to see who wins. If it's as good as the 18-125 has been on my D70, then it's definately a winner.

Anyone knows if Sigma 18-125 is the only non-Nikon lens compatible with the D70? No right? Could you recommend others?

Samuel Lo
02-20-2005, 08:14 PM
Anyone knows if Sigma 18-125 is the only non-Nikon lens compatible with the D70? No right? Could you recommend others?

Tamron Lens is good and no problem with D70.

D70FAN
02-21-2005, 09:23 PM

Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina, all make a full line of lenses compatible with the D70, and most SLR/dSLR camera mounts. If you mean lenses specifically for APS-C sized sensors then, yes, each of these companies also make several dSLR specific lenses as well. Although you can use almost any of the current crop of 35mm lenses with a dSLR.

For specific lenses, the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 and the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 are very nice as well, and pretty high quality optics for around $400. This is a case where these lenses are not specifically made for dSLR's, but work very well.

D70FAN
02-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Give me a shout when it happens.

Will do, but the 18-200's are going to have to be pretty good for me to give up the work-horse. ;)

But I definately will let you know.

speaklightly
02-24-2005, 09:23 PM
George-

In all fairness, and I certainly respect your opinion, the Simga 18mm-125mm has been a total bust for me on my Canon EOS 20D. I returned it to B & H. I did it because it was not sharp at all oveall, particularly at the edges. Are Sigma lenses just too cheap, and therefore bad lenses?

That lens was surely a looser!

Speakligthly

palmbook
03-04-2005, 08:43 PM
The crop factor does still apply. however the "Digital lens" is generally much smaller than a standard lens of the same reach.
It's digital lense because it has smaller image circle. To be said, the image transmitted from the lense is smaller than usual and fits only with APS-C sized image sensors. Plugging this lense with film body, vignetting will be with you.

Also these lenses tend to have higher resolution (higher quality can be achieved with the same price because lenses are smaller, as they don't have to deliver large image circle) and better Chromatic Abberation control.