PDA

View Full Version : night scenes and rain

immi001
12-22-2004, 09:28 PM
Hi...

I want to take photos of night scenes and rain (in daylight). The photos need be of good enough quality only (need not be very good or professional quality) and I want to take them with a simple/cheap camera.

My question is... which are the controls absolutely necessary for this? Can I do it adjusting just ISO? Or is manual aperture/shutter-speed control also necessary?

I'm a lay user, I dont know much about photography. Please advise me.

Thanks

ReF
12-24-2004, 07:46 PM
how cheap a camera are you talking about? in my limited experience taking pics in the rain with the A80, the pics came out pretty sorry. there is very little light on rainy days so slow shutter speeds have to be used. the rain doesn't even show up with slow shutter speeds so it just looks like a gloomy day unless light reflections are involved. You have to use high ISO to use as fast a shutter as you can, though this will make the grey sky a bit noisy. you don't really see much rain in the air in pics unless it's raining really hard. some of the rainy day pics i've done at night have come out very nice though, with all the reflections and colors coming off the wet ground/puddles. daytime rain shots should come out much better with a d-SLR since high ISO are usable. if you get really desperate you could always get one of those disposable waterproof cams with at least 400 speed film (800 speed looks a bit nasty IMO).

the one manual control that is absolutely neccessary for night scenery is a slow shutter setting. aperture settings are used to alter the appearance of points of light and/or reduce purple fringing.

the canon A75 is a good choice for a low cost camera that has manual controls. many cameras nowadays have a least a slow shutter setting. I'm gonna say that you can get good results with "cheap" camera (cheap as in low cost but not crappy) but not a "simple" camera (simple as in the camera offers none or hardly any controls).

immi001
12-25-2004, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the reply...

I'd like to know if Minolta DiMage F100 (also has manual controls) with a sensor size of 1/1.8" (compared to 1/2.7" of A75) will produce better images for the same conditions. Want to know how much the sensor size difference can matter.