PDA

View Full Version : Which Macro Lens?

Jessitt
07-14-2007, 10:57 PM
I have a Nikon D70s and will be needing to take photos of very small objects with a lot of fine detail. I'll probably end up printing 4X6's from these.

I don't know much about close up photography so could someone help me decide on which is the best lens to use????

Thanks,
Rich

Bynx
07-15-2007, 03:56 AM
The macro lens I have come in numbers 1, 2 and 3 and designed like screw on filters. Each has a minimum distance and a certain depth of field. They can be screwed together in different combinations allowing you to shoot closer while at the same time giving up depth of field. They are great for flat objects like stamps or coins. Used singly they are good for small objects like statues with a relatively small depth of field. They are cheap and effective.

Rooz
07-15-2007, 04:11 AM
I have a Nikon D70s and will be needing to take photos of very small objects with a lot of fine detail. I'll probably end up printing 4X6's from these.

I don't know much about close up photography so could someone help me decide on which is the best lens to use????

Thanks,
Rich

main thing here is what are the small objects you ant to focus on ? if the objects are stationary then you can get away with a short focal length cos they aint goin anywhere. if the sujects are moving, like insects for example, then you should try a longer focal length to avoid disturbing them and keeping your distance. 90mm is the minimum i would use for insects.

there are other ways to achieve macro as opposed to a macro lens; like close up filters, extension tubes or reversal rings. i haven;t used the filters but have used the tubes and they work great for a fraction of the cost of a macro lens. if you have a nikon 50mm f1.8 i have just seen some awesome macro results from the reversal rings.

if you want the best macro results then you need to purchase a dedicated macro lens which is a 1:1 image reproduction on your sensor.

macro lens for you to consider are:
Budget choices:
tamron 90mm f2.8
sigma 105 macro f2.8

Don;t be fooled by the "budget" tag here. they are both legendary macro lens' with excellent sharpness and contrast. i have owned the tamron and can vouch for it's optical performance. it was fantastic.

Higher end:
nikkor 60mm micro f2.8
nikkor 105mm f2.8VR
sigma 150mm macro f2.8

Jessitt
07-15-2007, 06:49 AM
Thanks guys. The objects are pretty much flat, maybe a little bit of depth, but not much. They are also stationary.

It seems as though I should try the close up rings and see how things work out. If they don't give me the results I am looking for, then I can go up one step,

Where is a good palace to purchase the rings???? And, do you reccomend I use them on my 50mm 1.8???

Also, if I did need a dedicated lens for these stationary, flat objects, which would you opt for???

Rich

Rooz
07-15-2007, 07:07 AM
reversal ring info for 50mm can be found here: pretty sure you can just pick them up anywhere. bhp or ebay.
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32618

kenko extension tube info here:
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31431

there are also some close up filter images from Xailo in the Nikon Picture of the day thread which turned out very well.

if you go for a macro lens, it depends on your budget really. 60mm is fine for stationary stuff. i liked the tamron cos its best bang for buck imo. LR Max and achuang over in the nikon forum both have the nikkor 60mm which they are very happy with. maybe post a thread over there and ask the question for some feedback. :)

Robert Besen
07-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Check B&H photo for the Kenko:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/7299/Photo_35mm_Extension_Tubes.html