PDA

View Full Version : AF Assist and the 30D/5D

DarkDTSHD
07-14-2007, 07:35 PM
How important is AF Assist really? With the 30D you need to remember to raise the built-in flash to have AF Assist. With the 5D you need to remember to attach an external flash. Can you, and have you been, getting away with not worrying about AF Assist and getting your prize winning shots? When shooting in the daylight in low light situations (or when there is a lot of light)...

Is having AF Assist just an "added assist" to help you get better shots but not necessary?

Set me straight. Thanks.

24Peter
07-14-2007, 09:32 PM
The infra-red focus assist on the Canon Speedlites is very helpful. I can literally focus in a dark closet with the 430EX on my XT (not that I actually shoot photos in there but you get the idea :o) The XT's built in focus assist is to strobe the flash which is a nightmare. Not sure if the 30D does the same thing - i.e., induce siezures in your subject. If you typically shoot in low light environments, the AF assist is a must I think. (5D's focus is a little better in low light than the 30D so you might able to get away with more with that body. But it still wouldn't hurt to have the assist if needed.)

pagnamenta
07-14-2007, 10:53 PM
The Xt and 30D are both alike in respect to AF assist. There is no AF assist. The bursts from the flash are not an option and they're far to slow. I use the infrared beam on my 580 when shooting dance parties with low light and I get focus every time. However, be careful because the flash units don't help when shooting in Al Servo.

noyjimi
07-14-2007, 11:32 PM
let me put it this way: i wish it (IR) were built into the 5D like with nikons

DarkDTSHD
07-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks guys. 24peter.

I thought so. Just wanted confirmation.

Honestly I prefer the design of the Nikon D200. For example, they put the AF Assist lamp on the outside. And it is actually an AF Assist lamp. I assumed the 30D had one. That it was built into the pop-up flash. Shrug. But I am partial to things "made in Japan" so i want to give Canon a chance. And I did hear they make good cameras. :)

I read on another forum that the 40D is due out next month. Rumurs. That it's that time. Roughly the 18 month mark. Should be interesting if Canon does give us the 40D next month. Or September.

If I'm not happy with what I see in the 40D then I'm getting the D200 or it's replacement.