PDA

View Full Version : Looking for all info on Error 99

suemccartin
12-22-2004, 10:06 PM
Hi All
Had my rebel for a couple of months, I've run a few hundred pictures through it on two 512K CF cards--no problems before now.

I bought a new sandisk CF high speed 1 gig card, just shot the first batch of pictures on it tonight. I had it nearly full in large(not full quality, one step down) i.e. there are about 60 shots left on the card. I was shooting pretty steadily but there were some pauses to let the camera catch up writing to the card. For no reason that I can figure out, I got the stupid error 99 and it wouldn't go away. I thought maybe it was a card error, switched cards and got it again. I need anything anyone can direct me toward on this issue so I can try to decide if the camera needs to go back for repairs. The only things different I did tonight were the new 1 gig sandisk card and the BG-E1 battery grip. I was using the flash when this happened but I can't imagine that had anything to do with the issue either, was shooting in TV mode with high speed sync for the flash.

Thanks for the help.

LoveOfSelene
12-22-2004, 10:26 PM
Hi All
Had my rebel for a couple of months, I've run a few hundred pictures through it on two 512K CF cards--no problems before now.

I bought a new sandisk CF high speed 1 gig card, just shot the first batch of pictures on it tonight. I had it nearly full in large(not full quality, one step down) i.e. there are about 60 shots left on the card. I was shooting pretty steadily but there were some pauses to let the camera catch up writing to the card. For no reason that I can figure out, I got the stupid error 99 and it wouldn't go away. I thought maybe it was a card error, switched cards and got it again. I need anything anyone can direct me toward on this issue so I can try to decide if the camera needs to go back for repairs. The only things different I did tonight were the new 1 gig sandisk card and the BG-E1 battery grip. I was using the flash when this happened but I can't imagine that had anything to do with the issue either, was shooting in TV mode with high speed sync for the flash.

Thanks for the help.

Error 99 is many things. Mostly on the D-Rebel. It's usually the lens. but in your case you didn't use any new lenses. The Battery grip couldn't be an error b/c the camera could care less. I doubt it's the flash card...b/c it would display as an "card error" (Error 2) or "write error" (Error 4).

Im thinking it's the lens. But i could be wrong
Im editing this b/c just now i relized that you already did one of the things i was goin to ask you.

Anywho. you tried a new card and still doesn't work.

Make sure camera is off before installing/inserting/attaching things!
To find out. First we have to reset the camera.
-take out the battery and wait a few seconds
-now reinstall the battery and turn on the camera w/ the lens attached and w/o an CF card

1-Now does it still say Error 99?

-If so do all that again but w/o the lens on the camera.

2-Does it still say Error 99?

-If so as they say it "ur screwed"...naw im just kidding, if it still says it you prolly have to call up Canon and ask how to send back for warrenty or send it back to fix at place.

-If not, attach the lens and turn it on. (make sure you put it on correctly). Oh before you do that, make sure the contacts on the lens are clean.

3-Now does it say Error 99?

-If so, you got a lens problem. (I canít help u any further w/ lens problems, take it up w/ canon or what ever manufature your lens is)

-If not insert an CF card that has nothing on it.

Now does it say Error 99?
-If not. COOL your good to goÖ

-If soÖI canít help you from here. Call up canon. But before you do that try it again w/ another CF Card. RESET or it will surely say error 99.

Oh donít do this stuff w/ the battery grip on.

good luck
loveofselene

Mike Woods
12-23-2004, 06:41 AM
Error 99 is many things. Mostly on the D-Rebel. It's usually the lens. but in your case you didn't use any new lenses. The Battery grip couldn't be an error b/c the camera could care less. I doubt it's the flash card...b/c it would display as an "card error" (Error 2) or "write error" (Error 4).

Im thinking it's the lens. But i could be wrong
Im editing this b/c just now i relized that you already did one of the things i was goin to ask you.

Anywho. you tried a new card and still doesn't work.

Make sure camera is off before installing/inserting/attaching things!
To find out. First we have to reset the camera.
-take out the battery and wait a few seconds
-now reinstall the battery and turn on the camera w/ the lens attached and w/o an CF card

1-Now does it still say Error 99?

-If so do all that again but w/o the lens on the camera.

2-Does it still say Error 99?

-If so as they say it "ur screwed"...naw im just kidding, if it still says it you prolly have to call up Canon and ask how to send back for warrenty or send it back to fix at place.

-If not, attach the lens and turn it on. (make sure you put it on correctly). Oh before you do that, make sure the contacts on the lens are clean.

3-Now does it say Error 99?

-If so, you got a lens problem. (I canít help u any further w/ lens problems, take it up w/ canon or what ever manufature your lens is)

-If not insert an CF card that has nothing on it.

Now does it say Error 99?
-If not. COOL your good to goÖ

-If soÖI canít help you from here. Call up canon. But before you do that try it again w/ another CF Card. RESET or it will surely say error 99.

Oh donít do this stuff w/ the battery grip on.

good luck
loveofselene

In addition to the above mentioned suggestions, I once got this fault when the flash was blocked from fully extending. You might want to pop your flash up and then gently lift up on it to make sure the camera sees it is fully open and see if the error disappears. Good luck!

suemccartin
12-23-2004, 06:45 AM
Well don't ask me what I did but it has resolved itself. Yes, I read that most often this is a lens error but then I found a forum where some folks were talking about some other causes too.

One guy said his battery grip wasn't tightened down well and caused it (think I'll take it off and give the contacts a shot of cleaner), another person said the shutter curtain didn't close normally once and caused it. The lens I was using was the 17-55 EFS that came with it, at the time it didn't occur to me to pull the lens off--but I did pull it off later when I put the camera back in the case. I had a couple of times when the lens didn't seem to want to focus properly when I was shooting and I had to switch to manual. I nearly filled up that 1 gig card and I was shooting a lot in continuous mode (another karate demo), I was wondering if I just gave the poor little thing a case of brain fry by shooting so many pictures so quickly--I shot probably 250 pictures inside 90 minutes last night.

LoveOfSelene
12-23-2004, 09:27 AM
Yeah.
Well thats good to hear it works now.

The thing about Error 99 can be anything. Thats the problem. Who knows why canon can't just make an Error Code for any external problems. I got an Error 99 once on my 10D, and found it to be my external flash.

suemccartin
12-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Well I hope it's not my 550EX, just have to see if it comes back with any regularity. Only differences this time were the battery grip, the external power pack for the flash and the new high capacity cf card.