PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D70 1gb CF

Simpleaim
12-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Hi all!

I just got my D70 and I love it but am confused about the card I got. I bought a 1gb CF card and formatted it in the D70 but it shows it will only hold 97 RAW images. Is this correct? Judging by Jeff's review, the D70 should hold about 44 RAW with the 256mb card. Did I do something wrong?

Thanks for your help.

Ken

erichlund
12-24-2004, 02:04 PM
Jeff's review was likely based on actual performance. As you take photos, you will notice that the number of remaining photos doesn't go down one for one. This is because the size of the raw photo varies with the subject, as Nikon uses an in camera compression algorithm to store the raw data. I'm not sure I've filled the card since I started taking raw, but I recall seeing about 129 on my 1GB card at one point.

Happy Holidays,
Eric

Simpleaim
12-26-2004, 06:51 PM
Thanks. I've read alot more on this and it seems that Nikon uses worst case scenario on these cards. I actually shot 184 shots on NEF with this card last night.

Ken

Marc87GN
12-27-2004, 08:36 PM
Hello,

I just bought my wife a New Minolta Z3 and when I got it home, we found that it has a bad LCD. I just bought it on the 26th and I plan to return it Thursday for a refund. I would really like to get her the D70 because I have read nothing but great things about it. It appears it is going to hurt my wallet, but my wife takes about 1300-1500 pictures a year so it should get some use. If this place doesn't meet my number, where is the best place to get a D70 and should I get an extended warranty? Thanks

Marc

charles.sykes@comcast.net
12-28-2004, 06:43 PM
Just got a D70 and am still learning about it (so far so good). WRT where to buy: If current place does not work out try 17th street photo (ask for Mark). They actually speak English and I found they are low pressure and very helpful. Happy Holidays! :>)
ps WRT extra warranty about 60.00 from 17th street for 5 years but I have no experience (good or bad ) in this area.