PDA

View Full Version : Fuji, Nikon, or Canon?

Hadoken
07-30-2004, 04:05 PM
First off, what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something atleast 3mp, atleast 3x optical zoom, and some sort of movie feature. I'd prefer movies with sound but it isn't a neccessity.

What I'm looking at.
Fuji Finepix A330
Canon Powershot A70
Nikon Coolpix 3100

I like the Fuji because of the price, $150. I like the Canon because of the reviews here and dpreview.com. I also like the ergonomics on the Canon, I want something to hold on to. I just threw the Coolpix in there because someone suggested it.

I dislike the Fuji because no sound during movies and some people say it doesn't feel very solid. I had decided on the Canon A70 but then I realized it is over 1 and 1/2 years old, and apparently some people are having problems with the lenses getting stuck and having to be repaired. Since I'm still in highschool I don't have money for repairs.
Does the fact that the Canon is so old make it less of a camera?

If it meets the criteria of 3mp, 3x optical zoom, a movie mode, and a $200 top cost- let me know about it.

D70FAN
07-30-2004, 09:44 PM
First off, what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something atleast 3mp, atleast 3x optical zoom, and some sort of movie feature. I'd prefer movies with sound but it isn't a neccessity.

What I'm looking at.
Fuji Finepix A330
Canon Powershot A70
Nikon Coolpix 3100

I like the Fuji because of the price, $150. I like the Canon because of the reviews here and dpreview.com. I also like the ergonomics on the Canon, I want something to hold on to. I just threw the Coolpix in there because someone suggested it.

I dislike the Fuji because no sound during movies and some people say it doesn't feel very solid. I had decided on the Canon A70 but then I realized it is over 1 and 1/2 years old, and apparently some people are having problems with the lenses getting stuck and having to be repaired. Since I'm still in highschool I don't have money for repairs.
Does the fact that the Canon is so old make it less of a camera?

If it meets the criteria of 3mp, 3x optical zoom, a movie mode, and a $200 top cost- let me know about it.

The A70 should meet your needs for quite a while. If you can get one for under $200 from a reputable source, then go for it. Just make sure that it has a new camera warrantee for the country you are buying it in. Then you won't have to worry about repair cost at least through the warrantee period.

I have a Nikon CP 990 that is 4 years old that I would stack agains 2/3 of the cameras out there. So don't be too concerned about the age of the design in this case.

Hadoken
07-31-2004, 06:56 AM
Thanks very much for your response.

I found the A70 for $200 at Officemax and that comes with the manufacturers 1 year warranty, I'm going to spend the extra $29.99 and get an addition 1 year warranty for 2 years total.

I chose the Canon because it has so many auto modes for when I first start, but also manual modes for when I get more camera-savy. Not to mention the review on this and many other websites talking about how good it is.

D70FAN
07-31-2004, 07:37 AM
You don't need my approval on your choice, but at $200 that is definately a winner. How long does Office Max have these on sale, or is this their normal price? I would like to point others looking for a low-cost, good quality camera in that direction.

Thanks for the info.

Hadoken
07-31-2004, 10:42 AM
Well my local Officemax is out of stock, and has them listed at $249.99, but the person there said just bring the printed page of the officemax.com ad and they could get me one for $199.99. But on officemax.com is says clearance, while supplies last, so I don't expect it to stay around too long.

You can get them at beachcamera.com and digibuy.com for $200 shipped as well.

Binliner
07-31-2004, 09:07 PM
Hope I caught you before you made the purchase. The A70 is great but the A75 is better and comparable in price.

There are a few benefits to the A75:

Improved zoom ranges
Larger and more clear LCD
Additional shooting modes

I just got the A75 and am very happy with it, so are the reviewers. The improved LCD allone makes it woth the 20 dollar difference.

Hadoken
07-31-2004, 09:31 PM
I was trying to decide between the A70 and A75.
After reading some reviews though, it seems that some of the A75's have problems focusing. For instance the reviews on pcworld.com and www.imaging-resource.com had some problems that others didn't mention.

I've weighed the options, and think that I'll just go with the A70 and get a bigger card and rechargeable batteries in the price difference.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

zoodany
08-02-2004, 03:59 AM
I have the Canon A75 and I'm very satisfied..
At www.zoodany.it you can see some pf my pic taken all with the A75, to have an idea of what you can do with it..

zoodany..
www.zoodany.it

Hadoken
08-04-2004, 10:47 AM
I went with the A75 (got a deal on it for $169.00 before tax/extended warranty).

http://webpages.charter.net/oxhadokenxo/sunflowerb.JPG

^^^Obviously taken by a amatuer but the camera is good!

The problem with that picture was I was focusing on the flower instead of the bee, so it turned out a bit blurry. Oh well, live and learn.

Hadoken
08-04-2004, 12:09 PM
Officemax did in fact have the camera for $200. The picture and title in their ad said the A70 was $199, but the serial number for both the A70 and A75 were under the picture. So I went to get it and took along this coupon http://e.staples-deals.com/StaplesCoupon/default.asp?a=376%CA&e=%3A1%3C1645&c=5945140798248457&g=upuqp%FE&t=v%B0
and Officemax honored it!

D70FAN
08-04-2004, 03:35 PM
Officemax did in fact have the camera for $200. The picture and title in their ad said the A70 was $199, but the serial number for both the A70 and A75 were under the picture. So I went to get it and took along this coupon http://e.staples-deals.com/StaplesCoupon/default.asp?a=376%CA&e=%3A1%3C1645&c=5945140798248457&g=upuqp%FE&t=v%B0
and Officemax honored it!

Cool.

All of you wanting some extra $ off... here is your chance.

Hadoken
08-04-2004, 04:06 PM
These pics don't look quite as good after I shrank them, but I hate to post 1+mb images.
Never thought taking pictures of flowers would be so much fun :D
http://webpages.charter.net/oxhadokenxo/orange.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/oxhadokenxo/spottedbug.JPG http://webpages.charter.net/oxhadokenxo/yellow.JPG

John_Reed
08-04-2004, 04:10 PM
These pics don't look quite as good after I shrank them, but I hate to post 1+mb images.
Never thought taking pictures of flowers would be so much fun :D

Nice shots! Keep 'em coming.

Raoul
08-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Nice photos! Its amazing how much camera you've got for way under 200 bucks. Fine purchase. :D