PDA

View Full Version : Olympus E-300 with liveview?

Norm in Fujino
07-06-2007, 06:21 AM
Well, sort of. This is just an example of what can be done under duress. I found this dragonfly in the field while walking my dog late this afternoon, but it was very skittish, so after following it from bush to bush I slowly extended the E-300 (with 50mm macro) to arm's length while keeping the dragonfly centered in the viewfinder and periodically updating the focus. I was able to still see the dragonfly (or its head, rather) in the vf when I had the camera fully extended to arm's length, and I started shooting. Holding the camera so the neck strap is stretched taut against your neck will help stabilize movement.
I got a number of shots in pretty good focus, including this one.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/Peregrinor/P7067630aw1.jpg
Olympus E-300 + ZD 50mm f2.0 macro, 1/100s @ f3.2, ISO 100, Silkypix. Slightly cropped, resized and sharpened in PS7

kgosden
07-06-2007, 12:30 PM
When you add the extra benefit of in body IS the arm's length live view can be even more useful.

Riley
07-06-2007, 01:14 PM
yes its a great capture Norm, saw it over at the 'other place'
using the sling in tension to steady the frame, sniper techniques 101
goes to show the 300 isnt dead yet too

Norm in Fujino
07-06-2007, 03:34 PM
When you add the extra benefit of in body IS the arm's length live view can be even more useful.

Yes, I've seen some fantastic results from people with the E-510, but I'm hoping to resist until the E-3 comes out later this year.

Norm in Fujino
07-06-2007, 03:35 PM
yes its a great capture Norm, saw it over at the 'other place'
using the sling in tension to steady the frame, sniper techniques 101
goes to show the 300 isnt dead yet too

Thanks, Riley. The secret is moving the vf slowly away from the eye while keeping the object in focus. But yes, the strap trick helped (together with fairly good light).