PDA

View Full Version : Olympus lens quality in E-410 and E-510 gallery

joachim
07-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi,

I noticed, that there is a problem with the supposed to be better 14-54/2.8-3.5 in the bottom left hand corner of the picture:

http://dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/e510-review/P5280024.JPG
of the E-510 gallery when compared to the similar picture
http://dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/e410-review/P6130020.JPG
in the E-410 gallery, which uses the cheaper 14-42/3.5-5.6 lens. The latter picture is a lot clearer in that corner. Any comments? Jeff do you still have both cams and lenses? Might be interesting to figure whether this is a lens or a camera problem.

Many thanks,
Joachim

kgosden
07-03-2007, 09:25 PM
For what it is worth the EXIF data indicates that the lens was a little bit more open on the E-510. Without knowing the exact focus point or subject distance (and if the two are both square to the church) it is a little hard to judge the differences in the two photos at the extremes. Based on the overall scene I would venture to guess that the focal plane on the E-410 photo is a little more parallel to the church than on the E-510. Perhaps this is the cause of the softness. From what I have read the two lenses are generally considered pretty close in image quality, but this is based only on casual comments on some Oly forums.

joachim
07-04-2007, 06:18 AM
For what it is worth the EXIF data indicates that the lens was a little bit more open on the E-510. Without knowing the exact focus point or subject distance (and if the two are both square to the church) it is a little hard to judge the differences in the two photos at the extremes. Based on the overall scene I would venture to guess that the focal plane on the E-410 photo is a little more parallel to the church than on the E-510. Perhaps this is the cause of the softness. From what I have read the two lenses are generally considered pretty close in image quality, but this is based only on casual comments on some Oly forums.

Hi kgosden, thanks for the reply. I noticed the difference in aperture. However, one is 7.1 the other one is 8.0, which is 1/3rd of a stop. Both images are taken at f=14mm, resulting in a very large depth of field at these apertures. The centre of both images shows a comparable performance. According to Olympus US hyperfocal distance for f/5.6 at 14mm is about 2.3 m (approx 8 feet). Judging from the width at the bottom of the image, the camera is more than 15m away from the subject. I do not think the blurr shown can be explained in the way you indicate.