PDA

View Full Version : Is the E18 error that common?

Hadoken
07-30-2004, 01:36 PM
I'm looking into buying a Canon Powershot A70 because it fits the bill perfectly for everything I need.

But on sites with user reviews they make it sound like after a year the E18 (stuck lens) happens to literally every Canon camera. Is it really that bad or is it just that the negative people are the ones that really push their opinions?

I'm 16 and in highschool so I don't have money to spend on a camera that lasts one year and needs replaced, please fill me in!

Hadoken
07-30-2004, 05:31 PM
I think after doing a google search and seeing all of the problems I'll just wait and get something I know will last.

NYC Jim
01-06-2005, 08:40 AM
hi,

i am in the market for a shirt-pocketable camera for under $400 on the street, and although the canon s410 and s500 come up favorably image-wise on the major review sites) i am scared of all the e18 talk i see on the forums and on amazon comments. i just don't want to deal with such nonsense.

if anyone feels that my fears are unjustified, i am willing to listen.

so i am leaning toward the sony 7mp line - wondering if the p150 will drop down under 300 once the p200 is released in february.

David Metsky
01-06-2005, 08:53 AM
People who have problems complain, sometimes loudly. The vast, vast majority of Canon users have never and will never see this problem. Cameras that are popular (and Canons are very popular) will have a disproportional representation of problems on the Internet.

People rarely go online to say "My camera didn't have this problem". But of my many friends who use Canons and have for many years, none has seen this error.

ReF
01-08-2005, 05:01 PM
i've worked in electronics/digital cameras retail (but not for long!) for the last 1 1/2 years and have never encountered the e18 problem. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I know someone who fixes film cameras and there are actually many olympus stylus cams that have broken or stuck lenses, not canon. i'm really not sure why there is all this e18 talk in the air. i'll believe it when i see it.

D70FAN
01-08-2005, 06:40 PM
hi,

i am in the market for a shirt-pocketable camera for under $400 on the street, and although the canon s410 and s500 come up favorably image-wise on the major review sites) i am scared of all the e18 talk i see on the forums and on amazon comments. i just don't want to deal with such nonsense.

if anyone feels that my fears are unjustified, i am willing to listen.

so i am leaning toward the sony 7mp line - wondering if the p150 will drop down under 300 once the p200 is released in february.

Yes. Your fears are totally unjustified. Canon has no more problems with errors/failures than anyone else.

I see just as many problems with Sony cameras as Canon which is to say very few. Just cruise the sites here and see. Problems with Kodak, Fuji, Olympus, Nikon (actually very few failures), Canon (also very few).

You might want to include the Canon SD300 in your shirt-pocket group.

Richard Leon
01-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Well, I bought a Canon SD300 for my wife and although I tried to talk her into the new olympus 7000, the size of this camera is hard to resist. This was a XMAS present and it worked great, until we went on vacation. I'm writing from Cancun, Mexico with no camera because the SD300's lens jammed and all I get is the 'E18' error message! I have bought and researched 3 olympus cameras and I have never encounter anything this severe in reviews or in my actual experience. However, I must say that until I read that others are having the same problems I would have settled for a new camera in exchange since Amazon is willing to give me credit until January 31....since it was a Christmas present. To have this happen a year from now is too scary...I'll take the credit. Also keep in mind that this is a very new camera and they still haven't fixed the bug!

judge9847
01-29-2005, 04:55 AM
This issue has been convered in another forum recently and you make like to go there and read it and see what you make of it.

CLICK HERE (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3810) and you'll be taken to it.

It does seem to be a recurring problem with some Canon cameras. When it first surfaced as what seemed to be a regular problem about a year back now - and if my memory serves me correctly - the lens sticks either in or out because there's dust (and again, if my memory is correct) and particularly sand in the mechanism. That causes the lens to stick which in turn results in the E18! error.

I'd say that returning the camera is the right thing to do.

anhar
01-30-2005, 02:52 PM
I'd heard about E18 errors with Canons and was happy it had never happened to us. Last night, we got our first E18. We'll leave the rechargeables out for 24 hours and I'll repost an update. I'm figuring on having to ship it to Canon.

I should add we love the A70, enjoy the telephoto and wideangle add-on lenses, and only wish hi-res movies weren't limited to 30 sec.

The reason I'm posting here is that there's been a suggestion that there's an E18 conspiracy, and some members won't believe it until they see it. Inconvenient, I know, but I don't have the option of taking a photo of my E18 error right now.

Details: We got the error last night while filming a low-light movie. There was no indication of low batteries on the screen (flashing icon). The camera would not power on/off and the lens was stuck out. This afternoon my wife tried to power on/off and the lens retracted, but the camera won't work, so we'll try removing the batteries for 24 hours.

macd
01-31-2005, 07:39 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am afraid to say it but my Canon A70 just died. You guessed E18 error message and the lense wont close all the way. I had no idea these cameras had this problem until yesterday when mine died and started searching the net. The camera is 14 months old and canon wont do a thing about it, other than charge me $150 to fix it. Its the last canon I'll ever get. Anyone have any good suggestions for a new camera?

Ching
01-31-2005, 10:40 PM
we got an E18 error once with our A60, I just tapped the cam body lightly on the palm of my hands and the lens retracted and was fine since then.

Ching

gjordan
03-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Yup, I have the E18 error on my A70. It's about 14 months old, and now won't take pictures, lens stuck partially out and won't retract. Possibly powering off with low batteries caused it.

PhotoChick21
03-29-2005, 09:04 PM
I owne(d) a Canon a70, and I'm in the same boat. I'm only 15 in HS. Mine is currently in Ill. at the repair shop, and we're still deciding if it's worth being fixed. You might want to look at the a95 or the other models, but the a70 isn't worth it.

BostonAJ
07-25-2005, 07:31 AM
I love my camera. I have had it for about 6 months and all of a sudden the lens is stuck outside of the camera, wont retract and I can't get my camera to turn on. I just bought all new filters and an adapter. Needless to say I am very very upset..... :mad:

hotwater
02-19-2006, 08:56 PM
I just got the E 18 error message on my otherwise perfect Elpf SD 500.
I am very disappointed after reading other messages that this is a common problem. My lens is stuck in the open position. My camera is still unfortunately still under warranty, but it is a real pain to send it to Canon and be without a camera for 2 weeks. I thought I had bought the best camera for my needs on the market. I hope Canon take this problem seriously. I am expecting complete and total customer service satisfaction...I will post another note if that is not the case confused:

hotwater
02-19-2006, 08:57 PM
I just got the E 18 error message on my otherwise perfect Elpf SD 500.
I am very disappointed after reading other messages that this is a common problem. My lens is stuck in the open position. My camera is still unfortunately still under warranty, but it is a real pain to send it to Canon and be without a camera for 2 weeks. I thought I had bought the best camera for my needs on the market. I hope Canon take this problem seriously. I am expecting complete and total customer service satisfaction...I will post another note if that is not the case!

hotwater
02-19-2006, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=hotwater]I just got the E 18 error message on my otherwise perfect Elpf SD 500.
I am very disappointed after reading other messages that this is a common problem. My lens is stuck in the open position. My camera is still fortunately still under warranty, but it is a real pain to send it to Canon and be without a camera for 2 weeks. I thought I had bought the best camera for my needs on the market. I hope Canon take this problem seriously. I am expecting complete and total customer service satisfaction...I will post another note if that is not the case!

hotwater
02-19-2006, 09:00 PM
meant to say fortunately not unfortunately.

rawpaw18
02-20-2006, 03:44 AM
hotwater
Sorry to here about your error problem, just want to let you know that you can edit your original message without having to keep reposting. Just use the edit button when you pull up your message and make your corrections there. Good luck with your camera and I hope you get it back soon.
-Rich

souheil
12-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Hello,
I just had the E18 error last week after having used it during a rainy day (in EuroDisney) and the error occured while closing the lens with low batteries.
Well I read on this forum that hitting with the palm of the hand on it solve this problem. That's what I did, I hit it against the palm pf my hand (a little bit hardly since this was my last chance as the warranty expired 3 years ago) and the lens was unlocked !! :) :) :)