View Full Version : Problems with Canon SD1000 pictures

07-01-2007, 10:53 PM
I am hoping to get some advice on what I am doing wrong. I bought a canon sd1000 in April and have been taking shots of family trips, kids, etc...nothing fancy just "catching the moment". When I go to order all these pix finally on Shutterfly there is a "warning" that they would be best printed in wallet size - so I order some in 4x6 just to see and they are blurred and pixilated in 4x6. So I flip thru the user guide to see what I am doing wrong while taking everyday type shots and I can't figure it out. Obviously I am sure it is user error and not a problem with the camera - since I can't figure out what mode I need to be in to take pictures of my 3 kids posing in basic shots I was hoping someone could explain in laymans terms what I should do. Thank you for your time, Katie

07-02-2007, 03:02 AM
What do your photos look like on your computer screen? Are they better than the prints? Put a link or upload an example.

David Metsky
07-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Yes, it's hard to say what is going on unless we can see the photos. Can you point us to the Shutterfly page?

07-02-2007, 09:43 AM
Thank you for your offers to help - I think I have attached an example photo. As to the question about the pix on my computer screen they are crystal clear. I am just so perplexed b/c the sd1000 recv'd reviews as a easy point and shoot camera for novice users, I don't know where I went wrong as I never had any trouple with my kodak easyshare z740....Thanks, Katie

07-02-2007, 10:16 AM
The posted photo looks fine.

As far as I understand, the only reason you think there is something wrong, is because shutterfly gives a warning about them? And you have not seen any results yet?

Did you make the photos at full camera resolution? If you made them at full resolution, and you sent them that way to be printed, there should be no problem.

If on the other had you sent them photos of the small resolution that you posted above, then that would be the reason for them to warn about quality.

07-02-2007, 10:38 AM
Did you make the photos at full camera resolution? If you made them at full resolution, and you sent them that way to be printed, there should be no problem.

I agree with Coldrain on this one..I would look at the resolution that you have your camera set at..If it was set for 7.1 MP( or large)..the problem is with Shutterfly. Otherwise, if you had the camera set for a lower resolution (like set to small or quality set at normal..use superfine) its just that your file size won't support a 4X6 print.Look at the files that you uploaded to Shutterfly, they should be around 1MB in size for a good 4x6 print.

07-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Hi, Thank you for the feedback. I'll just address these ?/issues in order...

I have had pictures that were issued "warnings" (which were many of them) printed up and they look blurred and pixilated - winkflash.com warns me too that they would be poor quality.

the picture I attached is how all my pictures are set. I guess you identified my issue - how should I reset my camera? Right now it is at "S" (640x480)and "fine" My other options are:

L- 3072x2304
M1 - 2592x1944
M3- 1600x1200
postcard - 1600x1200
widescreen - 3072x1728

Also, this may be a dumb question, clearly I don't know much about cameras....can the pictures I took that are getting the warnings about resolution be fixed? Some are only saved to the computer while others are still on the memory card in the camera.....

Thanks Again, Katie

David Metsky
07-02-2007, 07:22 PM
You are taking TINY pictures. Camera phones take better photos then that.

You should shoot in the largest size and finest quality you can; that would be L and SuperFine. Memory cards are cheap, you can buy more if you feel like you are running out of memory.

The pictures you already took are done, there's no way to add more information to those. Just reset the camera settings and move forward. :)

07-03-2007, 06:34 AM
Yes, the higher resolution you set, the more details you catch. In general I also suggest the highest resolution and best quality (eventually "Fine").
But in case you wouldn't care about details, you can eventually set lower quality or resolution. But don't use 640x480, it's not worth it. You have just learned, you can't do much with lowest resolution photos, havent' you? ;)

07-03-2007, 07:34 AM
Yes you are shooting at the lowest resolution (size) and compression (quality), and should increase it. Why did you change the default settings? But I think you should usually avoid using the highest resolution and quality because then you get huge photo files that take up more memory card space, are slower to download to your PC and upload to galleries, and too big to email. I suggest using M2 or M3 size and Normal quality. You will get good looking photos for 4x6 or 5x7 prints or a bit larger, and only take .5 to 1.5 mb each.

David Metsky
07-03-2007, 07:44 AM
I disagree. :)

I always take pictures in the highest size and quality because I sometimes need to crop the shot. And, I decide that I want to print an 8x10 or larger I will have enough pixels. There are downsides, as bascom mentioned, but memory is cheap and uploading isn't usually a problem on high speed internet. These may not hold true for you.

If you decide to reduce one thing I'd go from Superfine to Normal (or Fine, whichever is the second best). You don't lose much because of the compression algorithms. I'd be hesitant to use M2 or M3 simply because you may capture a perfect image and it would be a shame to not have enough pixels for a big print.

07-03-2007, 08:22 AM
I agree, always shoot in highest resolution available.
You can not redo a photo... and you can not increase resolution afterwards. You can decrease resolution at will on your computer....

07-03-2007, 09:27 AM
Thank you to everyone for all the feedback and suggestions. Wish I had realized this problem earlier so the pix from our trip to Hawaii weren't ruined! I have no idea how it got set to what it was set at - must have been a mistake when I was fooling with buttons....bad me! Thanks Again, Katie

07-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Wish I had realized this problem earlier so the pix from our trip to Hawaii weren't ruined!

OUCH!!!..thats a shame. I would set it to the highest setting L and superfine/ You never know when you take that special picture.