PDA

View Full Version : shooting the moon

mattc
06-30-2007, 10:24 AM
so last nite there was a full moon and i tired to capture it, using my 55-200 vr lens. and d40x. anyways everytime i tried taking the shot i got almost a double moon. thought it was maybe a dirty lense but after cleaning the lense and filter still the same. then i took the filter off still the same (just a uv filter for lens protection) and the camera was on a tripod aswell. it even did this when i put the moon in the corner of the frame. is there something wrong im doing here or whats the secrete? i'll post some pics later im just at work right now

pas49ras
06-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Did you use the self timer..I would suspect camera movement when you release the shutter. Even with a tripod you will get some movement.

mattc
06-30-2007, 01:20 PM
no i didnt use the timer but even before i pressed the shutter i could see it threw the veiw

Paradox
06-30-2007, 01:28 PM
This might sound a bit patronising, but it's good to cover every option - did you take them through a window? If so, the reflection/refraction might I suppose have created a double image effect...or maybe not, I'm no photography expert.

mattc
06-30-2007, 01:32 PM
no i was on my balcony with the outside and inside lights off. i'll post some pics up when i get a chance maybe you guys can anylize it better that way

pas49ras
06-30-2007, 01:58 PM
When you are pushing the shutter button, you can cause the camera to move, even slight movement will cause a blurry,double image. Try using the self timer to eliminate this. Also..use spot metering and center the moon in your viewfinder

wutske
07-01-2007, 02:39 AM
your lens has image stabilisation (Vibration reduction) right? You should disable it when you are using a tripod.

mattc
07-01-2007, 07:46 AM
so say I were to have the VR on which I did why would that cause a problem?

wutske
07-01-2007, 08:43 AM
because the system isn't perfect :) . I can't explain, it's just something that's always said about image stabilisation; 'disable when using a tripod'.

D Thompson
07-01-2007, 09:15 AM
what were your settings?

Rooz
07-01-2007, 11:13 PM
VR tries to sense movement. if you shoot in a quiet place you will hear a buzing/ whirring sort of sound in your lens. this is the system trying to counteract any of your movements and in itself causes very slight camera shake. you don;t need to counteract hand shake on a tripod anyway so why have it switched on ? just turn it off.

its going to be quite difficult getting a good moon shot with that lens. it isn;t really that long and isn;t super sharp at 200mm. alot of this is going to be trial and error.

generally...

use manual mode
sunlight WB
iso 100
-0.3EV
spot metering
highest sharpening setting
use remote or timer
use between f8-f11. trial and error depening on the sharpest point of your lens.
use between 1/200-1/400 depending on the brightness of the moon. again, trial and error by looking on your LCD screen to see how the brightness turned out.