PDA

View Full Version : first DC for new teen

veronika
07-30-2004, 12:35 PM
I want to buy a dc for my daughter's 13th birthday.

On one hand, I want something simple, perhaps a Kodak, so she understands the technology involved.

On the other hand, I'm an art director and enjoy film photography. I'm also new to digital. Poor quality images will drive me crazy.

Can I get the best of both worlds and pay under $300? I'm thinking of the Canon A75.

But maybe I should go for the cheapest, simplest Kodak for my daughter and stick to my film Nikon SLR when I want better quality.

We are Mac users.

thanks in advance.

D70FAN
07-30-2004, 01:13 PM
I want to buy a dc for my daughter's 13th birthday.

On one hand, I want something simple, perhaps a Kodak, so she understands the technology involved.

On the other hand, I'm an art director and enjoy film photography. I'm also new to digital. Poor quality images will drive me crazy.

Can I get the best of both worlds and pay under $300? I'm thinking of the Canon A75.

But maybe I should go for the cheapest, simplest Kodak for my daughter and stick to my film Nikon SLR when I want better quality.

We are Mac users.

thanks in advance.

The A75 is a good all around choice. It is low cost, has a usable movie mode, and has good image quality. Do not buy the simplest, cheapest, camera. I twill only frustrate everyone.

Let me warn you, though, about our addiction. It is serious. Digital photography will set you free, to the point where your freinds will start to question why you are taking pictures of every blade of grass in your yard (The answer is: because I can!) Pretty soon, no one, and nothing, is safe....

...and depending on which Nikon AF lenses you have for your N series (I am assuming here), you may be the owner of a D70 sooner than you think.

All kidding aside the A75 is a good introduction to digital photography, for you and your daughter.

Jake Conner
07-30-2004, 09:58 PM
Of course, if they are MF Nikon lenses, you may soon find yourself with a Canon DSLR, because they'll actually work BETTER with that than with any Nikon below the $3200 mark....

Jake

D70FAN
07-31-2004, 07:43 AM
Veronica, I just heard from another member that Office Max has the Canon A70 for $200. This is a great starter camera, with many manual controls. I am tempted to buy one myself, but I already have 3 digital cameras in the house, so it would be a tough sell to the CFO.

UPDATE:

Apparently this is only an on-line cupon and was limited to stock on hand. This is a typical way of doing business at Office Max. Sorry for the not-so-accurate information. It really ticks me off when they do that.

zoodany
08-02-2004, 04:02 AM
[QUOTE=veronika]
I'm thinking of the Canon A75.
QUOTE]

I have it.. Look at www.zoodany.it to see some of my pics, to have an idea of its quality..

zoodany..
www.zoodany.it

Hadoken
08-02-2004, 06:52 AM
Veronica, I just heard from another member that Office Max has the Canon A70 for $200. This is a great starter camera, with many manual controls. I am tempted to buy one myself, but I already have 3 digital cameras in the house, so it would be a tough sell to the CFO.

UPDATE:

Apparently this is only an on-line cupon and was limited to stock on hand. This is a typical way of doing business at Office Max. Sorry for the not-so-accurate information. It really ticks me off when they do that.

George I have given you semi-faulty information, when I found out about the Officemax sale on Saturday it was online only, but yesterday it was advertised in OfficeMax's sale ad for $199. Even though I went there and they did not have them in stock. Then the guy told me they had some A75's but they didn't have them on display. He let me handle it and I asked him the price, he went over to the cash register and said $199. So even though it wasn't advertsied, according to my local OfficeMax, BOTH THE A70 and A75 are on sale for $199!

veronika
08-02-2004, 08:04 AM
thanks all for your advice. sounds like we have a winner.

and grazie a zoodany. the quality of the images looks great, and I enjoyed taking a quick visit to Italia, il paese piu bello del mondo (sorry for my bad grammar) Ciao!

Hadoken
08-02-2004, 08:09 AM
Well, not exactly, you can still get the A75 for $200 from beachcamera.com and another website, but I just called OfficeMax and the same guy that told me it was $199.99 yesterday now tells me it's $299.99........................................... .................................

D70FAN
08-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Yup, I should know better than to trust any pricing coming from Office Max. Been disappointed many times in the past, by their adds touting a great price and then finding they have none in stock, and only had a few items to fulfill the advertisement. Repetitive Quote: "Sorry, we had some when we opened but all 3 were sold within 15 minutes."

Veronica, one way or the other, enjoy the A75. Arguably the best all-around pocket camera for under $250 (at Wolf/Ritz). The A70 is available at Ritz for $229, but for $20 more I would go with the A75.

Hadoken
08-02-2004, 12:43 PM
Yeah, if you want the A75 it can still be had for $200.

Both BuyDig.com and Beachcamera.com have it for $202 with free shipping.
Both stores have near perfect user ratings from Epinions and both have over 3500 ratings.

I just wanted to buy the camera locally so I could buy an extended warranty, thats why the OfficeMax thing makes me so angry.

ruben
08-02-2004, 02:51 PM
"to the point where your freinds will start to question why you are taking pictures of every blade of grass in your yard "

:D I started doing that. My wife runs away from me now

euxenite
08-02-2004, 07:36 PM
Pardon me for not contributing to the Kodak discussion, but for simple point 'n shoot purposes, have you looked at the Nikon Coolpix 3700? The reason I suggest it is because it has a few features that are lacking in other cameras: its speed from power up to shooting is remarkable, its battery is long lasting, has "sound affected" remote picture taking (clapping to take a picture of your friends, etc.), best shot selector, will help take panorama pictures, and more good features for a low price.

Check this page for a review:
http://www.dealtime.com/xPR-Nikon_Coolpix_3700~RD-137556037252

If you click on the price list, scroll down to view all the prices ranging from $159 to $399.

In fact, if I weren't looking for a powerful zoom, I'd probably buy this camera myself.

-Chris

wax
08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
but i still find a80 a nicer camera. thought slighly more expensive(maybe not slighly), i has a slighter higher pixel count and best of all, a flip and twist lcd screen, which looks quite cool. but if you are just buying it for fun, and is planning to buy another better camera next year(when your daughter has learn abit of digi photography), it is better to stick to a75.

Hadoken
08-03-2004, 09:52 AM
ALRIGHT GUYS THIS IS THE LAST TIME!

If you've read through this thread you've seen me post giving nearly contradictory info every time.

Well, this is how it is, because I just bought a Canon A75.

The Officemax ad has the Canon A70 for $200 advertised, but below the picture is 2 serial numbers, one for the A70, one for the A75.
So the A75 IS INFACT ON SALE FOR $200...In my area...A guy in Texas I talked to got a totally different Officemax ad which did not even advertise any Canon cameras.

Here's what I did, and I can't guarantee you the same results as it seems to vary from state to state.
Went to OfficeMax and got the A75 for $199.00...asked them if they took comptetitors coupons, and the manager said they would, so I had a Staples coupon for $30 off anything $150 or more. So $199.00- $30.00=$169.99 FOR A CANON A75

I don't have the link on this computer but when I get home I'll post the link for the Staples coupon, but I can't guarantee your officemax will take it.
And also it seems that not all OfficeMax's have the A75's in stock.

I ended up paying $234 after tax and a 2 year warranty (so 3 years total warranty after the manufacturers warranty).

HERE is the link for the staples coupon http://e.staples-deals.com/StaplesCoupon/default.asp?a=376%CA&e=%3A1%3C1645&c=5945140798248457&g=upuqp%FE&t=v%B0