PDA

View Full Version : Doubts all around - Please help me decide!

Flying Dutchman
07-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Who can help me in deciding what camera to buy?
I've narrowed my possible choice down to two categories of prices with several cameras:

US$190 - US$249
Kodak easyshare CX7430
Canon A70
Canon A75
Nikon Coolpix 3200
Olympus D-580

US$250- US$300
Kodak easyshare CX7440
Canon A80
Nikon Coolpix 4100
Olympus Stylus 410

Wouldn't mind spending an extra few bucks, if that means the quality of the camera/pictures increases considerably. On the other hand, I'm a first-time buyer, and don't really have 'profesisonal demands', the camera will be for holidays, hobby etc. If I can get comparable image quality with a somewhat cheaper camera, that would be quite a deciding factor.
In general, I prefer image quality over functionality, and sturdy over plastic or size (although small size is quite handy of course).

Anyway, your advices are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

mikejulius102
07-30-2004, 01:56 PM
Of all the cameras you listed the only one I have experience with is the Canon A80> It really is a nice camera with high quality pics. I dont like Kodak to much compression in their cameras resulting in a lower grade print. I hear nothing but good things about Olympus, but personally, I have had bad luck with their gear. Hopefully you will look at the A80 real hard. Good luck

D70FAN
07-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Who can help me in deciding what camera to buy?
I've narrowed my possible choice down to two categories of prices with several cameras:

US$190 - US$249
Kodak easyshare CX7430
Canon A70
Canon A75
Nikon Coolpix 3200
Olympus D-580

US$250- US$300
Kodak easyshare CX7440
Canon A80
Nikon Coolpix 4100
Olympus Stylus 410

Wouldn't mind spending an extra few bucks, if that means the quality of the camera/pictures increases considerably. On the other hand, I'm a first-time buyer, and don't really have 'profesisonal demands', the camera will be for holidays, hobby etc. If I can get comparable image quality with a somewhat cheaper camera, that would be quite a deciding factor.
In general, I prefer image quality over functionality, and sturdy over plastic or size (although small size is quite handy of course).

Anyway, your advices are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

For a few "extra bucks" you might try the Panasonic FZ3 ($399 MSRP, when it's available in a month or so). If it's as much fun as the FZ10 then it will be worth the wait. You can play with the FZ10 to get an idea of the capabilities. From what I have read the FZ3 is a little smaller.

But if ultra zooms are not you cup-of-tea, or you don't want to wait, then the A75 is a good all-around choice.

As a final note: Fuji is introducing some competition for the A75/A80 with their E500 and 510. We just have to wait for the review results in a few weeks. Jeff has them introduced on the news page.

http://www.dcresource.com/index.shtml

Flying Dutchman
07-30-2004, 05:53 PM
Thanks Mike and George!

You've been great help! From what I've read, I think I'll focus on the Canons. Seems like a matter of financial resources in the end to decide which one.
The A75 and A80 are more or less comparable in picture quality, or are there some significant differences?

Are there essential accessories I should consider in my purchase?
And, I want to buy my camera online at a US retailer, because I'm travelling to the States soon, do you have any recommendations/good experiences in this respect?

Thanks again!

D70FAN
07-30-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks Mike and George!

You've been great help! From what I've read, I think I'll focus on the Canons. Seems like a matter of financial resources in the end to decide which one.
The A75 and A80 are more or less comparable in picture quality, or are there some significant differences?

Are there essential accessories I should consider in my purchase?
And, I want to buy my camera online at a US retailer, because I'm travelling to the States soon, do you have any recommendations/good experiences in this respect?

Thanks again!

The A75 has been one of my favorites. From a cost/performance point-of -view it is a great camera. The A80 just adds a few nice touches like a swiveling LCD and 800K pixels.

For normal 4x6 to 8x10 printing the A75 will work fine.

The A80 is just as good and I see where it is now just $50 more than the A75, so it might be worth the difference for a little more resolution and the swiveling LCD.

I have only used Norman Camera in Michigan so I can't speak for other on-line camera shops. Their price on the A75 is $249.95 the A80 is $299.95.

http://www.normancamera.com/shop/searchresults.asp?ProdManList=ALL&ProdTypeList=Digital

All you will probably need is a larger CF card (256MB should work) and rechargable batteries 2000mAh or higher NiMH type. I have always used a MAHA C204 charger, and actually have 3. Sometimes Thomas Distributing has a good package deal.

http://www.nimhbattery.com/

The A80 uses a LA-DC52D adapter for auxilliary lenses and the A60,70,and 75 use an LA-DC52C (about $24.95 for either)

Additional lenses are the TC-DC52 2x Telephoto for $124.95 and the .7x Wide Angle lens WC-DC52 for about $95.

I think that's about all you can add to the A series.

You might also want to check out the Fuji E500 and E510 when the are relesed next month. they loo to be some competiton to the Canon A Series. We shall see.

Hope that helps.