PDA

View Full Version : New to D70 - need help with features

RFBriggs
12-20-2004, 11:21 AM
Greetings.

I just got a D70 (and wow, I am blown away!), and even though I am pouring over the manual, I have some questions that I can't find the answers to. Hopefully someone can help me here:

1. What is the practical difference between Auto and P modes?

2. How do I turn off the flash for P mode? In my dinky compact digital camera, I can turn off the flash whenever I want to, but that does not appear to be the case here.

3. What is the best way to deal with indoor nighttime shots? I hate how harsh a flash looks, so I'm wondering if there is either a way to turn it off, have it fire at a different time, whatever, to make it softer without blur.

thanks!

D70FAN
12-20-2004, 03:31 PM
Greetings.

I just got a D70 (and wow, I am blown away!), and even though I am pouring over the manual, I have some questions that I can't find the answers to. Hopefully someone can help me here:

1. What is the practical difference between Auto and P modes?

2. How do I turn off the flash for P mode? In my dinky compact digital camera, I can turn off the flash whenever I want to, but that does not appear to be the case here.

3. What is the best way to deal with indoor nighttime shots? I hate how harsh a flash looks, so I'm wondering if there is either a way to turn it off, have it fire at a different time, whatever, to make it softer without blur.

thanks!

The easy answer here is read Jeffs review.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d70-review/

He takes you through a very good tour of the camera and you can actually answer your own questions.

Short answers:

1. P mode allows you to change primary settings like shutter speed and aperture within the confines of automatically maintaining proper exposure.

2. Press the flash release button (side of the flash housing) and rotate the thumbwheel until the flash off symbol is shown in the information LCD. It's pretty tiny, but viewable.

3. Use a fast lens, like a 50mm f1.8 and crank the ISO up to 800 to 1600 (depending on what you need)

But I have news for you. The built-in flash is a full iTTL speedlight and does a wonderful job (with a little practice). Down the road, drop another $229 - $329 for the SB600 or 800, and you will be a pro in no time (literally).

And finally, buy Peter iNova's e-book on the D70. You won't be a pro in no time, but it will seem like it. It's $50 well spent.

http://www.digitalsecrets.net/

Bon Foto.

RFBriggs
12-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Being a newbie to digital SLR photography, I have no idea what this means:

"But I have news for you. The built-in flash is a full iTTL speedlight and does a wonderful job (with a little practice)."

Is there a resource you could point me to to learn a little more about this kind of thing, other than the $50 e-book? I'm not ready to take that plunge just yet, but any small tidbit of information would go a long way toward helping...

thanks.

convergent
12-20-2004, 06:18 PM
The manual has a bit of information in it about the flash. If you end up getting an SB600 or SB800, they have a lot more info. I basically had to set down with the manual and keep trying different things until I figure out how to use it. Take a shot, look at the effect, change something, take another shot, etc. If you don't already understand basic photography, then get a book from the library that will teach you about exposure, aperature, shutter speed, etc., and how they all interrelate.

TTL is essentially a technology that means that the amount of flash is monitored from a sensor inside the camera that is monitoring how much light is provided. This helps assure that you don't overexpose a shot. But, you can use the flash as your primary source of light, or as fill-flash, or in other ways. There is a lot to it and the best way to learn is to play with it when you have some time to kill. Then when you really need it, you will know how to use it. The built in flash on the D70 is more powerful than many external flash units.

D70FAN
12-21-2004, 05:58 AM
Being a newbie to digital SLR photography, I have no idea what this means:

"But I have news for you. The built-in flash is a full iTTL speedlight and does a wonderful job (with a little practice)."

Is there a resource you could point me to to learn a little more about this kind of thing, other than the $50 e-book? I'm not ready to take that plunge just yet, but any small tidbit of information would go a long way toward helping...

thanks.

TTL means Through The Lens. This just means that the light from the flash is metered so as not to over or under expose the shot. The i part just means that the processor in the camera makes lighting decisions baseed on what it "sees" through the lens.

Go to google.com and type in Nikon D70 tutorials.

The e-book will get you there faster, but I digress.