PDA

View Full Version : My canon 10D

cemtex
12-20-2004, 09:28 AM
I have been doing photography since 2001 with shit cameras or just good point and shoots (an oly 1.3MP, canon S110, S200, S410, SD10). I finally started using my first SLR, a used 10D I got for 850. I sell cameras at best buy so I know my stuff pretty well....but the lens I needed to be cheap on, at least for now.

I got a vivitar 1 19-35 for 200, which I look at places and thats the price I find them. I wish it was faster (its 3.5) but for the most part I think its a good lens if you dont mind cheaper build quality (then again the new EF-S lenses feel like they are made of styrofoam theyre so light, even rebel 35mm lenses). I have trouble getting sharp pictures, but I think its because I shoot with my bad eye, and I never have enough light (especially when using it at work)....I just did a perfect shot at a radiator and I noticed only a tiny tiny hint of fringe, and for the most part pretty sharp.

So you think its the lens or just my bad eye? I shot a little with glasses and it helped. Any tips to get that diopter perfect for me?

D70FAN
12-20-2004, 09:48 AM
I have been doing photography since 2001 with shit cameras or just good point and shoots (an oly 1.3MP, canon S110, S200, S410, SD10). I finally started using my first SLR, a used 10D I got for 850. I sell cameras at best buy so I know my stuff pretty well....but the lens I needed to be cheap on, at least for now.

I got a vivitar 1 19-35 for 200, which I look at places and thats the price I find them. I wish it was faster (its 3.5) but for the most part I think its a good lens if you dont mind cheaper build quality (then again the new EF-S lenses feel like they are made of styrofoam theyre so light, even rebel 35mm lenses). I have trouble getting sharp pictures, but I think its because I shoot with my bad eye, and I never have enough light (especially when using it at work)....I just did a perfect shot at a radiator and I noticed only a tiny tiny hint of fringe, and for the most part pretty sharp.

So you think its the lens or just my bad eye? I shot a little with glasses and it helped. Any tips to get that diopter perfect for me?

Keep shooting with glasses, and adjust the diopter to suit. If you leave the camera in AF your results should be fine either way. You might want to look at the Sigma 18-125 for about $250 to get an all around "useful" lens.

Finding a faster (than f3.5) decent zoom will be very expensive, and the difference vs. an f2.8 is only a stop, so just set your ISO to 200-400 to get the same effect. Many of us just use a low-cost fixed focus 50mm f1.8 (or f1.4) if we need a really fast lens.

eagle17
12-20-2004, 11:40 AM
I'll second that, the Sigma 18-125 DC is a great lens.. I have been using it for nearly a week now and it has really proven to be very crisp. It is a great lens for taking quick shots of things when you are just walking around. I have also just purchased the canon 70-200 f4L and it is very nice but you do need the light for it...