PDA

View Full Version : Blue Tone in Manual

barb1686
06-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Ok, I'm learning to use my manual controls on my new camera. I'm very new to these controls, and I just play around. However, everytime I take a picture it's either black, white, or has a blue tone to it.

What am I doing wrong? I can't seem to find the right balance. I changed the shutter to every little step. Is it the ISO or white balance? How do I know what to change?

Yesterday was a very cloudy day, somewhat dark, as it was starting to storm. All came out with a very strong blue tone. I can post a picture later, I'm on a different computer now.

I received Understanding Exposure today in the mail, so that should help...hopefully I can understand it and it doesn't confuse me! :p

toriaj
06-20-2007, 10:58 PM
The blue tone is probably due to your white balance. Do you have it on Auto white balance? or have you changed it to one of the preset or custom white balance settings? And have you changed the ISO from the Auto setting?

The all-white capture is due to having too much light reach the sensor (meaning, either your shutter speed was too long (low #) your aperture was too big (high #.) or both.) The all-black capture is exactly the opposite.

Don't feel bad, I had many of those captures myself! I suggest you first get the exposure correct. You could start in the AV mode with an aperture of 8. That will probably yield pretty good exposures. Notice what shutter speeds the camera is choosing (something like 1/250 of a second, or 1/60 of a second, depending on the lighting.)

When you get back to your computer, go ahead and post some of your blue ones. Then we might be able to help you more.

P.S. Guys, please don't jump on my advice, just trying to give the OP somewhere to start :D