View Full Version : -=color Theory]=

06-13-2007, 06:58 PM
its all too complicated for me.. but I can say this..

I HAVE A VERY EASY WAY to explain what you need or want to learn.

First.. there are only three things that happen when you squeeze the shutter release (exposure wise).. That image is :

too dark

too light

now knowing that basic principle..

Learning how exposure values relate to one another and ISO ratings.

EV = Exposure Value there are 22 diffeent EV charts that you can eaisly build or store in your head.. just by remembering one value or index

125 @ F 16 = 100 ISO = EV 15

this is absoltely meanlingless for now.. UNITL you see the whole range of this one EV value..

1000 @ F - 5.6

1/500 @ F 8

1/250 @ F - 11

1/125 @ F - 16

1/60 @ F - 22

1/30 @ F - 32

1/15 @ F - 45

1/8 @ F - 64

1/4 @ F - 90

1/2 @ F - 128

Now each of these values will produce the correct expousre of " a specific" scene.. but the only difference is.. in depth of field ONLY.

now.. how about 200 ISO ?

125. @ f 22 -= 200 ISO EV 14

125 @ f 32 = 400 iso EV 13

125 @ F 45 = 800 ISO EV 12

125 @ F 11 = 50 ISO EV 16

I hope this helps you to understand shutter speed / aperture relationships with any particular given ISO

125 @ F 16 = bright sun distinct shadows.. on bright sand or snow.

Photography is all about Light and what you can accomplish with your imagination and that light !

Learn how to READ.. . .. "Light"

Understanding color theory will make your photographic jounrney much easier if you understand some simple basic principles

Even though you have a high tech camera that has white balance buit in and photoshop's power of a "click" or two to fix "color (s)" is not enough.

You must understand HOW COLORS WORK. with each other. This is essential to learn if your ever going to understand the "Art" of photography.

Red Green Blue are primary colors you see the "sliders" in photoshop RGB -

each of these three colors has a "compliment" or secondary color.

the opposite of red is cyan

-- - green is magenta

- - blue is yellow

This is COLOR "theory" but it is easily proven in a variety of ways.

This is photo color theory, not watercolor or oil color theory those have "different primaries"

If I take a round piece of blank cardboard flat, circular and divide it into thirds, and paint each third one of the Primary photo colors.. R, G, B.

those three colors,, when I spin that circle what "color" will you see??

Black is not.. .. a "color". it is the ABSENCE OF ALL COLOR(S)

WHITE is the presence of ALL color(s) PRIMARIES / OR secondaries.

This can be simply illustrated by using Lights.. in any 3D program.

Using a program called 3D studio max a red light and green and blue light were created and aimed or pointed toward the center of any surface. The unedited results of what happens when you mix light is obvious.

Spin that cardoard.. and your gonna see..WHITE.

WHERE the primary lights overlap, the secondary colors are present and visible.

Learing HOW to use COLOR(s) and their compliemnts or secondaries in Juxtaposition with each other will produce the most pleasing eye popping results using COLOR.
Photoshop is the norm.. ha! I am different, I use Painter because I like the color wheel.. and many other features that adobe doesn't have. don't be fooled there are a GREAT many other image editing programs that can do just as good of a job. far cheaper.!

So to sum it all up if your print is too yellow / move the blue slider

if your print is too magenta (pink) move the green slider

if your print is too Cyan (turquoise) move the Red slider.

UNDERSTANDING these six colors and how they function with each other is simple to learn .. the only problem you might find. is that when you MISTAKE blue for cyan or cyan for blue...

Bill Markwick
06-14-2007, 10:15 AM
I don't mean to be nasty or rain on your parade, but much of what you say is wrong. It must also be thoroughly confusing to beginners.

This is really wrong. You might try going against the flow and revealing a truth that nobody wants to hear, which is that a good photo results from good control of the lighting (hard, soft, etc) with the hardware bells and whistles being mere conveniences.

Once you grasp that, color will follow.

06-14-2007, 11:06 AM
well thanks for your valued Input Bill.

EVERYTHING I have written or typed I learned from Kodak 40 years ago

I have taught for over 4 decades.. wow..

I guess I gotta start all over !

thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Bill Markwick
06-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Forty years, huh. Yup, been there too. I guess what we have is a semantics problem. When you say things like

>>each of these three colors has a "compliment" or secondary color.
>>the opposite of red is cyan

it certainly makes the reader wonder if you aren't confusing complementary systems.

06-14-2007, 04:58 PM
I am speaking of DARKROOM techniques

and processing in photoshop to correct COLORS.

IN THE DARKROOM : red is the opposite of cyan you can see in on any color wheel.

in the darkroom when printing color.. two filters are normally used for subtractive color printing.. yellow & magenta

This is for printing color NEGATIVES..

if a print is too blue.. subtract yellow from the filter pack

if a print is too yellow .. ADD yellow to that filter pack to get rid of the yellow

Well it seems you don't understand the WORDS I used .. so I will provide a picture..

now according to adobe.. & KODAK

the rest is self explanitory ! thanks for the input.!! AGAIN !!

IF YOU LOOK @ the COLOR wheel in Painter.. it shows this same "theory" also to be true..

if you pick up a color negative.. and see the "color" cyan on that negative.. when printed that "cyan" will be red in the image.

if you place a blank sheet of color paper on the easel and splash that paper with cyan light.. when processed it will be RED !

if you place a blank sheet of color paper on the easel and splash that paper with YELLOW light.. when processed it will be BLUE !

if you place a blank sheet of color paper on the easel and splash that paper with MAGENTA light.. when processed it will be GREEN !

I have never had anyone dispute these simple statments of FACT:

concerning color darkroom printing techniques !

NOW USING PHOTOSHOP.. guess which sliders you move. ??? red/cyan blue/yellow magenta/green

so this same theory works each sitauation.. in the DARKROOM & in the LIGHTROOM.

06-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Gee, Bill, I've seen semantics argued a lot, but this is just a little silly. There's a difference between using wrong language and using semi-technical language (with deviations!) that is easier for the average reader to understand than straight-up tech-speak. I found the information to be easy enough to follow, myself, and while I realize that a couple of terms could be stumbling blocks to some, I think the majority of readers who are in need of this advice (and thanks kindly for it, Majik_Imaje) will find it useful as given.

06-14-2007, 08:33 PM
.. .. to understand..

when you print a photo any photo in darkroom or in lght room with your printer..

Only six things can go wrong.. (color wise)

that print will or could be too:

NOW HOW ?? do you correct for those color "shift" (s)

(read above post):D