PDA

View Full Version : Eos Rebel shooting to computer.

imgmkr
12-18-2004, 07:03 PM
I attempted to shoot with my Rebel tethered directly to a computer. The result seemed very slow compared to shooting with Kodak cameras and software. Canon images shot on RAW seemed to take about a minute to download from the Rebel.

I have a Kodak DCS 760 and a Kodak 14N and they both bring-up images (at full res) immediately.

Am I doing something wrong in the Canon software or is that the way it is?
If that is the way the software works, does the D20 software work any better?

I like working with Canon cameras, but I have a problem with having to wait a minute in-between shots in the studio.

charles
12-21-2004, 11:06 AM
this camera has a RAW mode for the best quality pictures and you have to later work em with your canon software so u can make em jpeg pictures. you are right is slow but the quality is very high!
but if u want speed whenever you take pictures, just turn the save mode to jpeg and you will have your photo saved in seconds.
remember: is always good to read the manual!

D70FAN
12-21-2004, 12:51 PM
I attempted to shoot with my Rebel tethered directly to a computer. The result seemed very slow compared to shooting with Kodak cameras and software. Canon images shot on RAW seemed to take about a minute to download from the Rebel.

I have a Kodak DCS 760 and a Kodak 14N and they both bring-up images (at full res) immediately.

Am I doing something wrong in the Canon software or is that the way it is?
If that is the way the software works, does the D20 software work any better?

I like working with Canon cameras, but I have a problem with having to wait a minute in-between shots in the studio.

First keep in mind that the 760 and 14N are professional dSLR's that were designed to tether to a computer, (hence the 400Mb/sec. firewire connection)in the days when flash memory was expensive and limited to about 256MB.

The DReb is a consumer dSLR that was designed NOT to be tethered, but rather to be a free spirit using cheap and massive CF cards. External transfers use USB1.1 at about 12Mb/sec with a tailwind, and your RAW files are around 6MB. Not a speedy combo.

With the cost of a 1GB CF card at $60 for a slow one and $90 for a fast one, I fail to see the purpose of tethering to a laptop/desktop in the first place.

Maybe if you moved up to a 20D or 1D Mk II you could go back to tehering... ;).