PDA

View Full Version : Movie clips at 800x592 @20fps or 640x480 @30 fps

misquitas
06-13-2007, 01:31 AM
Hi there,

I need some advise on the movie clip features on the digital camera. I recently purchased the Samsung S850 and this camera offers movie clips upto 800x592 but at only 20fps. It also has allows movie clips at 640x480 but at 30 fps.

Now, I would like to know which movie clip would record better -- 800x592 @20fps or 640x480 @30 fps. To an untrained eye, it is not easy to spot the difference in the two formats and hence, I wanted some advice in the matter.

Many thanks.
misquitas

wutske
06-13-2007, 02:59 AM
Depens on what you want to film and how you wish to use it. If you're going to film slow moving objects, then 20fps is more than enough and you won't notice it, for faster moving objects it's better to have a bit more information and use the 30fps mode.

Now the application, if you want to watch them on a regular tv, the 640 mode is enough (regular tv is 720). If you want to watch it on a HD-tv or on a computer screen (full screen) then it's better to use the 800 mode.

misquitas
06-13-2007, 05:15 AM
Many thanks, Wutske, for you prompt reply.

Depens on what you want to film and how you wish to use it. If you're going to film slow moving objects, then 20fps is more than enough and you won't notice it, for faster moving objects it's better to have a bit more information and use the 30fps mode.[/I]

Now, my purpose for recording video clips on the digital camera is for general purpose. It is largely going to capture people at a party or a picnic.

[I]Now the application, if you want to watch them on a regular tv, the 640 mode is enough (regular tv is 720). If you want to watch it on a HD-tv or on a computer screen (full screen) then it's better to use the 800 mode.

Being based in India, most of our TVs over are in the older 4:3 format. However, if I have to send the movie clips to relatives in the UK, where HD-TV is more prevalent, I may need to switch to the 800 mode. Given my requirements, would you suggest that I stick on to the 800 mode?

Many thanks,
misquitas

David Metsky
06-13-2007, 08:11 AM
I find the low frame rate very noticeable at 15fps. I haven't seen one recorded at 20fps, but I suspect I would notice it. I'd shoot at 30fps even if you have to give up HD. If you are panning around with the camera you'll notice the slow frame rate as well.

-dave-