PDA

View Full Version : Canon A75 power adapter

Binliner
07-30-2004, 12:00 AM
I just got my A75 (it rocks) and am trying to get some basic accessories on a budget. The Canon specific 4.3 volt ac to dc adapters are expensive but there are many affordable 4.5 volt adapters that have proper amps and the right connecter.

So, my question is this, has anyone tried one of these 4.5 volt adapters with the A75? Alternatively, is there a way to reduce the voltage by that ever-important .2 volts?

Thanks a bunch,

Mark

bka314
07-30-2004, 12:47 AM
I just got my A75 (it rocks) and am trying to get some basic accessories on a budget. The Canon specific 4.3 volt ac to dc adapters are expensive but there are many affordable 4.5 volt adapters that have proper amps and the right connecter.

So, my question is this, has anyone tried one of these 4.5 volt adapters with the A75? Alternatively, is there a way to reduce the voltage by that ever-important .2 volts?

Thanks a bunch,

Mark

The same old question I had with my A20.

Normally that 0.2 volts doesn't matter (if you measure the voltage of an x V adapter you can easily get values from x to 1.5x, 2.5x, whatever), and the camera should have protection against overvoltage /hm, does this word exist?/, so 99% that it works, and 0.01% that it causes any damage, even if it doesn't work (maybe the camera heats up a bit but that you can feel and check).

Even knowing this, still I didn't risk my A20 that time :o. Now I'd be happy to test it for you (I have an S1 and kept my A20 is exactly for experimenting like this), but unfortunately I'm not home so I can do it 3 weeks from today the eariest.

I would really like to know about somebody who dared to try it - and the results.

Bye, Kris

Robert
07-30-2004, 08:24 AM
You'll find that the Digipower part no ACD-RC model TRC 05-1600 will work fine with your A75. I've used this adapter with the A40, A60 and A75 with no problems whatsoever. The output of the adapter is rated at 5 vdc @ 1.6 amps. Don't concern yourself with the 5 volts output as this is within tolerance of the required voltage presrcribed by Canon.

Digipower is a reliable manufacturer that makes many different AC adapters and the above is the one they recommend for the A75 as well as several other Canon Powershot series A cameras. The adapter goes for $20 to $30 depending on where it is purchased.

Binliner
07-31-2004, 10:04 AM
Thank you for the info.

I did some digging and found another thread about this on the DP forums.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=5979608

Im in Canada and the Digipower adapters dont seem to be available here. Hower Radioshack has an adapter that is rater 5v and 1600ma. Ill try that and will post my results, my camera still has the 30 day money back so I can experiment a lil ;)