PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Camera with around a $500 Budget

TnLiP
07-30-2004, 12:37 AM
Hello Everyone!

I am new here. I have been debating a Digital Camera for some time. Some friends, my wife, and I are going on vacation. I have decided to get a digital camera before going.

I have been looking around. Basically, I would like to get a good camera, but I don't want to spend a fortune either. Here are some things we will be doing with this camera:

Vacation Pictures
Pictures of Friends to Print (8 X 10 Probally) or put on a Website
We have dogs and hope to have kids soon so we will be wearing this thing out on them
We live in the mountains of Tennessee and have been hiking some so this will be a good thing take on a hike
Basic Camera Features. I do have a laptop and can migrate pictures as needed.

I have noticed that Nikon is offering some good rebates and I can get the CoolPix 5700 for about 430 bucks and the 8700 is $550 after rebate. I was looking at the Fuji S7000, but reviews have indicated there are better cameras.

I would like to know, based on above, if you had 500.00ish (give or take a few bucks) what camera would you get? Why?

Your help is appreciated? I was looking at ExpressCameras.com if you all have any opinion on them.

John_Reed
07-30-2004, 07:29 AM
Hello Everyone!

I am new here. I have been debating a Digital Camera for some time. Some friends, my wife, and I are going on vacation. I have decided to get a digital camera before going.

I have been looking around. Basically, I would like to get a good camera, but I don't want to spend a fortune either. Here are some things we will be doing with this camera:

Vacation Pictures
Pictures of Friends to Print (8 X 10 Probally) or put on a Website
We have dogs and hope to have kids soon so we will be wearing this thing out on them
We live in the mountains of Tennessee and have been hiking some so this will be a good thing take on a hike
Basic Camera Features. I do have a laptop and can migrate pictures as needed.

I have noticed that Nikon is offering some good rebates and I can get the CoolPix 5700 for about 430 bucks and the 8700 is $550 after rebate. I was looking at the Fuji S7000, but reviews have indicated there are better cameras.

I would like to know, based on above, if you had 500.00ish (give or take a few bucks) what camera would you get? Why?

Your help is appreciated? I was looking at ExpressCameras.com if you all have any opinion on them.
Based on what you said, I don't see how you'll do much better right now than the Panasonic DMC-FZ10, which sells on-line (not from your vendor, but from Vann's (http://www.vanns.com)) for ~$500. The FZ10 (I have one, love it) has a longer, faster, stabilized Leica-licensed zoom lens that's tough to beat. (35-420mm equivalent, f2.8 across the range, optical image stabilization) For hiking, it's small enough to fit into your backpack or a tummy pack. As with any of the cameras you're considering, the price you ultimately pay would include at least one (preferably) 256MB memory card. For hiking, you may need to think about having at least one spare battery as well, depending on how many hours or days you plan to spend away from a power outlet for charging. (The FZ10 comes with a proprietary battery and charger; probably ~200 photos per battery charge)

TnLiP
07-30-2004, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. What brands should I avoid? How is Fuji?

Jake Conner
07-30-2004, 10:52 PM
There are indeed better cameras out there in terms of image quality. But I own the S602 (the S7000's predecessor), which I chose for its great all-around feature set and great price, and I don't regret my decision one bit. And it's not like the image quality on these cameras is bad or unusable: I've sold 8x10s from my S602 in galleries, and one of my shots with this camera has even been used as a book cover. True, the better 8MP cameras will give better images, but they also cost quite a bit more, and the S7000 may well be all you need. If you plan on a lot of long telephoto shots, you might want the FZ10 instead, but if not, I'd go with the S7000 for its higher resolution, better macro, smaller size, CF II slot, and AA batteries.

Jake

PS: I'm glad you recognize that I am Necessary! ;)

TnLiP
07-31-2004, 12:42 PM
I appreciate all the responses. Jake, would you be available to chat via instant Messenger or IRC?

My Instant Messangers are as follows:

MSN: jake@6ps.com
Y!: NECJAK
AIM: Sixpscom

TnLiP
08-01-2004, 11:12 AM
I am reading frantically to get a feel for what camera will fit my needs the best. Jake suggested a Dimage A1 (Refurb for 569.00). My wife has kinda frowned on spending that much. (Single = buy what you want; Married is like having a Mom telling you NO at a toy store, over and over and over....)
Here are some things to note. I do have a Minolta Shoe adapter for an external flash. (if i am using the wrong terms let me know). Also, I have a 128MB sD stick from an old PDA I dont use anymore so this would work with some cameras (not A1).

I still may finagle the Dimage A1 to purchase, but was wondering if you all had any other input? I guess if I hadn't started reading more I would have bought the fuji s5000 or s7000. On the other hand, the Panisonic DMC-FZ210 looks pretty nice too. I do like the Cannon S1 IS.

This is my first digital camera. I definately want a rounded camera, but I don't want to buy TOO much camera. Your thoughts?

John_Reed
08-01-2004, 12:53 PM
I am reading frantically to get a feel for what camera will fit my needs the best. Jake suggested a Dimage A1 (Refurb for 569.00). My wife has kinda frowned on spending that much. (Single = buy what you want; Married is like having a Mom telling you NO at a toy store, over and over and over....)
Here are some things to note. I do have a Minolta Shoe adapter for an external flash. (if i am using the wrong terms let me know). Also, I have a 128MB sD stick from an old PDA I dont use anymore so this would work with some cameras (not A1).

I still may finagle the Dimage A1 to purchase, but was wondering if you all had any other input? I guess if I hadn't started reading more I would have bought the fuji s5000 or s7000. On the other hand, the Panisonic DMC-FZ210 looks pretty nice too. I do like the Cannon S1 IS.

This is my first digital camera. I definately want a rounded camera, but I don't want to buy TOO much camera. Your thoughts?
I'd suggest waiting for the Panasonic DMC-FZ3, which is supposed to be available late August. It uses SD cards, though you'll probably want more than 128 MB whatever you buy. It should be more than competitive with the Canon S1, except it won't do VGA-quality movies (which use up LOTS of CF memory space). It WILL do continuous high-speed (~3/second) shooting at full resolution until the memory card is full. The FZ3's MSRP is $399.95, so it should fit easily within your wife's budget! ;)

TnLiP
08-02-2004, 04:40 PM
Well.. a strange turn of events. We MAY get a Cannon Digital Rebel. I had to promise not to ask for another dog for a few months though. The jury is still out.

You all like the Digital Rebel?

JMWallace
06-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Well.. a strange turn of events. We MAY get a Cannon Digital Rebel. I had to promise not to ask for another dog for a few months though. The jury is still out.

You all like the Digital Rebel?

Have you read the reviews in here??? My suggestion would be to go for the Canon Powershot S3 SI. The administrator of this forum and owner of this site give easy to understand reviews.

Buying the Digtal Rebel puts you on the edge of stepping into a whole different realm. If your looking for a point-n-shoot it is going to be more than you need...it'll give you great pics, but you would really be under-utilizing it. As far as not being allowed to ask for another dog for a couple of months...well, lets just say lenses are addicting!!!

If the wife likes a camera she can drop in her purse, the Rebel will be a little too big for that unless she carries one of those bottomless things.

The Powershot will give you the ability to manually control some functions, but it really is it's own end of the road. The Rebel however...is just the beginning. Meaning the other options that come with gettinga DSLR (lenses, flashs, etc.)

Gotta ask yourself which direction you want to go.