PDA

View Full Version : Casio Lens Error

jayfixit
06-07-2007, 04:01 PM
If you ever get this, and have not damaged your lens in anyway, don't worry. It can be fixed. Usually w/o any parts. :eek: Casio Exilim cameras don't really have good dust/debris protection, and the focus motor gears are easy to get jammed up. I buy these on eBay all the time, and fix them. They also get knocked out of alignment easily if dropped.

I can tell you how to do it, if you're so inclined, or fix it for you. :D

Josiah
11-26-2007, 01:53 PM
I need mine repaired, would you mind getting back to me asap, gotta do it before the owner finds out.

bakkam
11-27-2007, 04:23 AM
If you ever get this, and have not damaged your lens in anyway, don't worry. It can be fixed. Usually w/o any parts. :eek: Casio Exilim cameras don't really have good dust/debris protection, and the focus motor gears are easy to get jammed up. I buy these on eBay all the time, and fix them. They also get knocked out of alignment easily if dropped.

I am thinking about buying a Casio camera. Would you recommend this brand or should I go with the Canon brand

jayfixit
11-27-2007, 07:38 AM
I personally have an Exilim EX-Z70, and have not had any issues with it. I like it because it really is one of the smallest (thinnest) cameras out there. With any pocketable camera, there is risk of hitting the power button while in your pocket. The best way to avoid this is get one where the lens doesn't zoom outward, rather everything is internal. I'd say just find a camera you like that has the features you like, and get it. I haven't worked on enough newer Canon cameras to say one way or another. Just don't buy based on megapixels. Get one with a good lens. This website should help you with that decision.

bakkam
11-27-2007, 09:32 AM
Get one with a good lens. This website should help you with that decision.

On my list I have the following ultra compacts and compacts and they are ranked in the order of my preference. Regarding megapixels, I am looking at a camera with > or = 5 megapixels. Unforunately, there aren't many reviews for Casion Exilim V8.

2. Canon 870 IS
1. Casio Exilim V8
4. Pentax M20
3. Kodak 885

jayfixit
11-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Here's one reviewer's opinion of the V8:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/casio_ex-v8_pg5.html

The full manual controls are a nice touch IMO. Then again, I bought a dSLR this summer, and just bought an old manual film rangefinder, so take that comment with a grain of salt. I like the internal lens too. My wife has an older Konica Minolta with an internal zoom lens. There have been many of times the camera was taken out of her pocket, and the power accidentally turned on. Since the lens doesn't extend, there was no damage.

From the same reviewer, here are two of the others:

Canon
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/canon_sd870.html

Pentax
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/optio_m20.html

The Canon might take better pictures at some extreme conditions (such as low light), so you'll probably have to decide if you have more of a use for that, or for a slimmer camera which is why most people choose the Exilims.

bakkam
11-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Here's one reviewer's opinion of the V8:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/casio_ex-v8_pg5.html

The full manual controls are a nice touch IMO. Then again, I bought a dSLR this summer, and just bought an old manual film rangefinder, so take that comment with a grain of salt. I like the internal lens too. My wife has an older Konica Minolta with an internal zoom lens. There have been many of times the camera was taken out of her pocket, and the power accidentally turned on. Since the lens doesn't extend, there was no damage.

From the same reviewer, here are two of the others:

Canon
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/canon_sd870.html

Pentax
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/optio_m20.html

The Canon might take better pictures at some extreme conditions (such as low light), so you'll probably have to decide if you have more of a use for that, or for a slimmer camera which is why most people choose the Exilims.

The review of the V8 is very tempting indeed.

Have you found recharging the camera , downloading the data to be a bit problem with your Casio camera?

jayfixit
11-28-2007, 09:08 AM
I've used the cradle for charging on some cameras I've bought, and fixed, and it seemed to work fine. I don't download from the camera, I just put the SD card into a card reader. It's easier IMO, so I can't speak to downloading from the camera itself. I can try it if you're interested on what I think, but I never have. As for charging, I use a standalone charger too. The EX-Z70 usually came this way.

bakkam
11-28-2007, 02:21 PM
I've used the cradle for charging on some cameras I've bought, and fixed, and it seemed to work fine. I don't download from the camera, I just put the SD card into a card reader. It's easier IMO, so I can't speak to downloading from the camera itself. I can try it if you're interested on what I think, but I never have. As for charging, I use a standalone charger too. The EX-Z70 usually came this way.

Jay, thanks but its not necessary. I did check out this beautiful gadget at a chain store; it looks like a supermodel without the typical price tag.

glyng
12-09-2007, 02:54 PM
PLEASE tell me how to fix this lens error. My wifes camera developed this fault JUST outside the 12 month guarantee period!!

Thanks

Glyn

jayfixit
12-11-2007, 10:30 AM
If the lens does not extend/retract properly, then most likely, something is stuck in the zoom gears. If it does extend, and you hear a high pitched buzzing type noise, then this is the focus motor, and the gears are out of alignment, or there is debris in there.

The fix requires removal of the lens, and checking, cleaning, and making sure the gears are ok. Whatever you do, don't pull, pry, or tug at the lens. This won't help.

You can send me an e-mail if you'd like some info specific to your camera. Just google my username, and you'll find my website.

Also, what model Exilim do you have?

buhtelj
03-03-2008, 05:01 AM

I had a little accident with my casio digital camera exilim s880... I droped it, and than the lens didn't go back in, even if i tried to push them back. When I sake camera I can hear something moving inside, so probably somtehing is broken... or just fall apart (hope so :D ), so can you send me some plans how to disamble and/or fix my camera??

Please help me because at the local service they said to me that they can't help me...

Regards Ales:p

P.S.: I know how to use a scruedriver :rolleyes:

buhtelj
03-03-2008, 07:28 AM
ok i have manage to disable it, so I came to the lens wich are stuck. That moving part was a little tip from lens, which probably just fall apart so it's not broken...

But now i dont know how to disamble and recheck the lens??

Any ideas??

http://shrani.si/t/1P/hZ/3QtBiQd0/slika089.jpg (http://shrani.si/?1P/hZ/3QtBiQd0/slika089.jpg)

please :P

Ales

kodakmoment
07-09-2008, 04:51 PM

Hi, Can you please tell me how to fix my Casio Exilim (EX-Z70)? I dropped it in the sand when I visited the beach and now it says there is a lens error. Please help! Thank you.

Smileyhappy1
07-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Hi, I need you to repair my exilim camera. The lens is saying it has an error. Can you please help me.

Janette

jayfixit
07-22-2008, 02:21 PM
I have some lens repair info on my site now.

http://jayfixit.com/repairEXZ.html

iain bramhill
09-13-2008, 10:33 AM

Hi,

I have this exact problem - please can you advise me how to fix it?

Iain

iain bramhill
09-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi,

I have this exact problem - please can you advise me how to fix it?

Iain

millerm@wildman.com
09-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Can you please tell me how to fix the error? I'm pretty good with this stuff, though the workings of a telescoping lens are unfamiliar to me.

Thanks.

jayfixit
10-02-2008, 08:09 AM
See if this helps...

http://jayfixit.com/repairEXZ.html

tokidork
01-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Hi Jay! Came across your post from a Google search. I have a problem with a Casio Exilim EX-Z77. I dropped it with the barrel extended and the inner barrel became cocked. I eventually pushed the barrel back into the camera (don't know if was the best idea, but I panicked), and I got the terrible "RETRY POWER ON" and "LENS ERROR" messages. Not wanting to spend $100+ on repairing it, I tried finding DIY methods online, and came across yours. I haven't seen a better and specific DIY method than yours, so thank you for that already! Also, your tutorial applies to my model as well (thank god).

Now, I did everything up until a few steps at the end of the Focus Lens Removal portion. The step where it says to remove the main drive gear and extend the lens again gave me a problem. Well, actually, I already had a problem in the first portion of the tutorial, when you said to move the main drive gear to extend the barrel. I could only turn it so much to extend the barrel 2 cm outward. I continued on, thinking that something in the focus lens portion would help, but there didn't seem to be anything wrong there. With the focus lens out, I was able to extend the barrel, but with resistance. I didn't really know what to do from that point. I really believe there is something wrong with the barrel. Have you come across this problem? Do you have any tips on what I can do?

Thank you in advance!

jayfixit
01-07-2009, 10:39 AM
The problem is you pushed the lens into the barrel. They don't like that as the small lens barrel has 3 metal pins that ride inside the larger lens barrel as it twists. Pushing it usually cracks the plastic holding these 3 pins in...but not always. The only way to fix it is trying to carefully disassemble the entire lens barrel. Sometimes you can...sometimes a part just snaps, or is already snapped. The easiest method would be to just replace the lens assembly with a good used one from another camera. Maybe something with a broken LCD of eBay or such.

tokidork
01-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I thought it was a bad idea. Anyway, have you ever disassembled a lens barrel? If so, do you have any tips?

jayfixit
01-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Yep, just did one yesterday. Everything is done from the back. Try to carefully get the shutter assembly out, which has the 3 plastic prongs which rides inside the lens, before doing anything. If you break this, then definitely the lens will need to be replaced. After that, try to get the lens barrels to come out from the back. These are a little stronger, and not as fragile as the shutter assembly. If nothing is broken, it all goes together like a little jigsaw puzzle...or rubik's cube...or something. :) Then, you should be able to remove the big gear from the back (slide it out), and test movement of the lens barrel.

tokidork
01-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Yep, just did one yesterday. Everything is done from the back. Try to carefully get the shutter assembly out, which has the 3 plastic prongs which rides inside the lens, before doing anything. If you break this, then definitely the lens will need to be replaced. After that, try to get the lens barrels to come out from the back. These are a little stronger, and not as fragile as the shutter assembly. If nothing is broken, it all goes together like a little jigsaw puzzle...or rubik's cube...or something. :) Then, you should be able to remove the big gear from the back (slide it out), and test movement of the lens barrel.

Sounds like a good plan.
I have a bit of a problem, though. I don't really know my way around a camera (I basically just followed your tutorial, didn't know what the parts were even called!). I think I know what the shutter assembly is (judging on your description) - is it connected by a ribbon as well? I got the inner barrel to come out slightly (maybe around half a centimeter) - can it be separated at all? I can't get the innermost barrel to move at all. Can you only locate the big gear when all parts are taken apart? I would take a picture of it to show you, but seeing as my only camera is currently disassembled, I can't really describe it any better.

jayfixit
01-08-2009, 09:42 AM
The lens barrel, and shutter assembly is all removed from this side:

http://jayfixit.com/images/repair/EXZ/CIMG5478.jpg

You can remove the big drive gear shown here in the 9 o'clock position. Then, the lens assembly 'should' be free to move. If not, things are jammed, and you'll just need to work carefully to get everything to pop out the back here. Yes, the shutter assembly is the piece attached by the ribbon cable in the 6 o'clock position.

Good luck!

tokidork
01-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Oh, so that's the big drive gear, haha! It doesn't really freely move when it's removed. When the lens assembly is removed, the barrels move to an extent...it's most definitely jammed. I can pop out the shutter assembly. I was able to get my hands on another camera, so here's what I have:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/loverealityyy/private/shutter1.jpg
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f226/loverealityyy/private/shutter2.jpg
In the first picture, the second barrel can only be moved out half a centimeter. I can't get the innermost barrel to move at all. The problem is in here...I just don't know how to fix it. I don't know where and what the pins are, either.

I appreciate all your help!

jayfixit
01-08-2009, 12:28 PM
If you got the shutter assembly out, just discard the lens 'barrels', and replace them with the lens barrels complete from the other camera.

What was wrong with the other lens?

tokidork
01-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Oh, no, sorry for the misunderstanding, but I don't have a parts camera. I meant that I found a camera I could use to take a picture of what I am doing with my Exilim.

Is the shutter assembly the part that's resting on top in the first picture? If so,
I believe that there is a problem with the barrels in it. I can only get the middle barrel to move (the one that's out a half a centimeter in the first picture), and the innermost barrel doesn't budge when the shutter assembly is out of it's container (I don't know what it's called). It only moves when it's in there.

I was just wondering if there was any way for the innermost lens barrel to come out at all, because if the problem lies with that barrel being jammed, I'd like to try and fix it, if possible. You mentioned something about pins?

jayfixit
01-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Got it...yes, thats the shutter assembly on top. In the first picture, there is part of one of the inner barrels which appears to be sticking out a bit. This is out of position, and needs to snap back into place. The trick is to first get everything back into proper position...without breaking anything...and then it can be removed. Unfortunately, that doesn't always work. You won't see the 'pins' until its all apart, so I wouldn't worry about that.

If you'd like, send me a private message. I probably have a lens barrel assembly I can send you. Just don't break any of the 3 'prongs' off that shutter assembly.

jarmst6
04-13-2009, 12:29 PM

Hey! I think a grain of sand got into my camera and now i have a lens error! I can get it to turn on sometimes but the second i try to do anything else it shuts off. The lens itself is fine. Is there anyway you could tell me how to fix it? If I bring it somewhere, will they charge me an arm and a leg? Thank you!

lauren_snell
05-02-2009, 05:30 PM
I have a Casio Exilim Ex-Z77 for sales for parts.

The lens stopped going in and out, so we replaced the lens assembly ring (that had broken gear teeth) and the computer then went out.

Contact me at lsnell@aimmarketingsolutions.com

fyrecpa
08-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Hello, my daughter's camera has run into the problem where it is showing a lens error. When the camera is turned on, it reaches almost full extension and then it sounds like some gears are slipping and it doesn't completed the extension. Any help would be appreciated.

Puffy
08-10-2009, 02:18 AM
Hello, Joe.

I read something about you and see yor DIY because I have a problem similar with my EXILIM Z700 but it's not the same. It work perfect, but when you try to put any zoom (+ zoom. with -zoom nothing happens), it put a "lents error" and go off.

What do you thing about it? Coult it be similar that you say?

PD. Sorry for my English!!!

lizard
08-21-2010, 07:19 AM

Yep, wife dropped our Exilim and the zoom is jammed partially open (on our anniversary) - would like to take a shot at fixing it with your instructions. I appreciate it. Richard

chiroasst01@aol.com
09-06-2010, 05:02 PM
I purchased a Casio Exilim a year ago and I have had nothing but trouble with it ... it keeps shutting off and now it says there is a Lens Error! Any suggestions, please??

chiroasst01@aol.com
09-06-2010, 06:37 PM
To Jayfixit...would you take a look at my camera? I will send it to you if you will email me your info...chiroasst01@aol.com. Thank you

amyg
08-14-2011, 11:48 AM
If the lens does not extend/retract properly, then most likely, something is stuck in the zoom gears. If it does extend, and you hear a high pitched buzzing type noise, then this is the focus motor, and the gears are out of alignment, or there is debris in there.

The fix requires removal of the lens, and checking, cleaning, and making sure the gears are ok. Whatever you do, don't pull, pry, or tug at the lens. This won't help.

You can send me an e-mail if you'd like some info specific to your camera. Just google my username, and you'll find my website.

Also, what model Exilim do you have?

Hi Jayfixit, I seem to be having this focus motor problem with my Exilim EX-Z1000. Can you give me some info on how to fix it please?
Thanks.
Amy

David Metsky
08-15-2011, 04:22 AM
Jay hasn't logged into this site in a year. You can try his website (linked earlier in the thread) but he's unlikely to answer here.

hanzane
11-26-2011, 05:32 PM
please tell me how to fix this problem!! my lens is stuck almost all the way out it looks like, and it's a bit crooked

bmar3
05-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Hello Jayfixit; I have a exilim EX-285, lens error is my problem. I did a reset, blew air on the lens, am using a casio battery that came with the camera(fully charged), tried with a memory disc / without, and none of that seemed to have an effect. I've had the camera for some time and it has been working well. I have another camera so it's not the end of the world, but would like to see if I can fix it and pass it on to one of my kids.
Thank you.