PDA

View Full Version : Can't download from Canon S1 IS

jenny
12-18-2004, 12:08 AM
I have downloaded photos from my Canon S1 IS succesfully onto the computer. I messed about with the computer images and then decided that I had messed the images up so much that they needed to be deleted. I still have the originals in the camera, but it won't let me download them for the second time. I have taken a further six photos - the camera happily downloaded these new shots. Help!

judge9847
12-18-2004, 03:52 AM
I have downloaded photos from my Canon S1 IS succesfully onto the computer. I messed about with the computer images and then decided that I had messed the images up so much that they needed to be deleted. I still have the originals in the camera, but it won't let me download them for the second time. I have taken a further six photos - the camera happily downloaded these new shots. Help!
First things first, it's NEVER a good idea to use your original images to "mess about" with. Never! And for the reason you've discovered already - it may be that you can't get back to the originals. Whatever the photoediting software is you're using, open the original and then make a duplicate of it. Photoshop, Elements, PSP and I guess every single one of the packages do that and it's usually just a couple of key strokes or mouse clicks. When you've got your duplicate, close the original. It's a golden rule ... :)

Secondly, I suspect that somehow you're telling the download software not to overwrite any files it finds on the hard drive with the same name. You can get round that in a number of ways but the easiest way is to change that setting or simply tell Windows to overwrite everything. You'll get your originals back off the camera that way.

Another way is to use Windows Explorer to find where the "messed with" files are on the hard drive and delete them.

Yet another way is to download the files again but use a different folder to do that. That way nothing will stop them being downloaded afresh.

You don't actually say that you know the images are on the camera's card. If they're not - and it's possible to move the files from the card to the hard drive and delete them as you do so - then you won't see them. But don't panic quite yet, if they have been deleted it may still be possible to recover them. Make another post if that's the case because it's an entirely different issue to deal with!

jenny
12-18-2004, 12:59 PM
Bob, thank you for great advice. Iwill NEVER do this again. I will always copy my originals in future. I have retrieved my photos from the recycle bin - hadn't thought of that in my panic! I would still like to refresh and you said...
"Yet another way is to download the files again but use a different folder to do that. That way nothing will stop them being downloaded afresh"
What do you mean by use a different folder. How do I do this? I am a novice at this! Jenny