PDA

View Full Version : Online Classes?

barb1686
06-04-2007, 07:23 PM
Hello. :) Just purchased my first DSLR (Rebel XTi), and I'm hoping to learn how to use it better. I'm looking to either a) find an online college that I can do it all from home to obtain a degree or diploma or b) take a few online classes that are inexpensive. I've found a few online classes, but they were either closed until November or they were $200 or more a class. I don't have that kind of money. If I was going to school, then loans and grants would cover the costs. I really want to find a school online. That way it can be more of a career move than just a hobby. I'd go to a school close-by but with work it just isn't possible. The closest school that offers photography is downtown Pittsburgh and that's over an hour drive each way.

I want something that I can turn in projects and get feedback. Reading "how to" manuals do not give feedback.

I hope someone can help me out! Thank you! :)

RichNY
06-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Check out www.ppsop.com. I'd recommend purchasing the DVD and buying Understanding Exposure and Learning to See Creatively before taking any classes. I've read the books and watched the DVD but have never taken any of the online courses there.

Personally I'd buy what I recommended and then just start taking photos and posting them up here for feedback for a few months. If you decide to take a course online or in person after that you will most likely benefit more from it than if you took it without any foundation.

JLV
06-05-2007, 05:22 AM
There is a free photo course on the web. If you do not want to enroll, you can just read the lessons. I read a few of the lessons. They are as good or better than some books.

The URL follows:
http://www.morguefile.com/archive/classroom.php

zmikers
06-05-2007, 04:37 PM
I think actually going to classes would help a lot, but as far as online classes go, I think RichNY is right. Buy some books written by Brian Peterson and post here. You will get some great feed back here and not from only one instructor but by many people. Sometimes the feedback will be helpful and sometimes it will not, but that's where you learn about different perspective and others opinions. :p