PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Canon A80, S50 or S60

CanonManiac
07-29-2004, 05:22 PM
:confused: im confuse and i canīt decide which camera purchase.
I would like a good point and shoot camera. Its worth saying that i dont know anything about photography but reading reviews i have 3 cameras in mind Canon A80 4mp S50 5mp and S60mp
first decided for the A80 but after reading the reviews of S50 and S60 i got confused because although the S series is intended for Amateur Serius users the reviews said that there were also excelent point and shoot cameras.
Which camera do u recomend me? Is better s60 than s50? the s60 takes photos with lots of red eye and pictures have blury edges so i dont know whichs S series camera is better.
Hope you could help. :)
and sorry about my english my native language is Spanish :D

CanonManiac
07-30-2004, 05:06 PM
anyone?? :confused:

Ray Schnoor
07-30-2004, 06:19 PM
I can't speak for the A80 and S60, but my father-in-law has the S50 and he likes it just fine. As far as I know, he uses it in the fully automatic mode at all times.

It also takes great photos. It can be used as a point and shoot camera, but also has manual controls. You can see some photos he recently took in the following location.

http://rschnoor.smugmug.com/gallery/173870

CanonManiac
07-31-2004, 08:54 AM
Thank Ray for replying!

ilandr
07-31-2004, 07:16 PM
I have the s60 and LOVE it. You can use it in totally automatic mode or adjust whatever parameters you wish. It takes beautiful photos with apparently less CA than the A80 (I don't own an A80, so I can only go by what the reviewers have said).

There is some softness in the corners, but only when you are set at wide angle. Zoom in just a bit and it disappears. Low light focusing is especially good.

Ausin
08-01-2004, 04:25 AM
Hi,

I was in the same boat last week and couldn't decide between A80 v S60, but went for A80 at the end. I haven't had time to take so many pics but a few I took look very sharp. S60 is more expensive and can not take adaptor lenses, same size CCD. A80's swivel LCD in great and AA batteries. But these cameras are not really for point & shoot (of course they can do it), for that you can get lighter and stylish IXUS series. A80 & S60 have lots of manual features for those who want to play and experiment and go off the Auto settings etc.

Ausin

Jake Conner
08-01-2004, 05:43 PM
S60 ... can not take adaptor lenses

Yes it can. The S50 can't, though, unless you buy a bulky tripod-threaded adapter (available from www.ckcpower.com).

Jake

CanonManiac
08-01-2004, 06:33 PM
thanx everyone for replying your comments are very usefull but i didn t understand very well when you write this..... "There is some softness in the corners, but only when you are set at wide angle. Zoom in just a bit and it disappears."
what i understand here is that if i take pictures whitout any zoom just point and shoot, the pictures will have some softeness corners, but if i zoom it a bit that problem disapear. Correct me if i misunderstood.
So if S60 have so many problems with red eyes, purple fringe and blury corners definitely S50 is better. im wrong?

sw9
08-02-2004, 04:56 PM
You can think of the S series cameras as smaller, better built versions of the A series cameras with better picture quality. I have owned and loved the S30 which shared the same design and the lense as the S50. Softness in corners/bluriness is something that always happens with these cameras and the S50 actually had some vignetting(darkened corners) issues. Look closely at the distortion test pictures on the site and you'll see both the S50 and S60 have blurred corners. IMHO for most purposes both cameras take pictures of identical quality but personally I'd go for the S60 since it has a more powerful battery, a nicer movie mode and a wideangle lense which could be very useful in many situations.

CanonManiac
08-03-2004, 10:21 AM
i understand the advantages form the S60, but if i take a pictures i will get more blurry edges than S50, and so many of you will answer because its from its wide angle. But the more image you get with the S60 is blurry so i will have to crop it and i will get an image same as one taken with s50
hope you could understand me!, Im really from Argentina and speak spanish. :)

sw9
08-03-2004, 02:13 PM
i understand the advantages form the S60, but if i take a pictures i will get more blurry edges than S50 ...
hope you could understand me!, Im really from Argentina and speak spanish. :)

Well, I was hoping that you can understand me too as I'm not a native English speaker either :) What I was saying earlier was the bluriness exhibited by the lense of the S60 really isn't so bad that you'll have to crop the wideangle image to make it usable. The easiest thing to find out about them is to download the sample images of both cameras here and at imaging-resource and see them for yourself. You'll see that the S50 also shows visible bluriness and vignetting around the corners in test charts but realistically wideangle pictures from both cameras are very usable without cropping in everyday situation as you most likely won't notice them in the real(non-testchart) pictures.

CanonManiac
08-03-2004, 06:50 PM
thanks a lot Sw9 for being so patient! :D