PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy two cameras: SLR and Compact

asyouare405
06-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Hi,

I'm going to be studying abroad next year in Israel, because the place I'm am studying is located on a farm in the middle of nowhere I thought it might be interesting to take up photography while I'm there. What I am thinking of doing is getting two cameras: an entry level SLR, for times when I have time to carry around something that big, and a ultra-compact camera, to keep in my back pocket in case something I see something without the SLR on me. What combination would everybody recommend?

For the ultra-compact I thought I might go for something that is a year or two old that I can get cheap on eBay, leaving me with a bit more money for the SLR. Because I don't know all that much about cameras I'm not sure what features I would want; it would be very nice if the ultra-compact and the SLR used the same kind of memory sticks, for the SLR atleast I wouldn't mind something that steadies the image even if your hand is shaking a bit. As far as the brand a Sony would be nice, I have quite a bit of Sony Rewards points (bout $2,000 worth) I'd love to get rid of, but if I don't spend it on this I'll spend it somewhere else.

Thanks for the help,

Dan

bascom
06-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Don't sit down with it in your back pocket. If you are buying used, there are too many good ones to recommend. Only Sony uses memory sticks. SD and xD are the others.

asyouare405
06-04-2007, 02:29 PM
If you are buying used, there are too many good ones to recommend.

Where should I start?

Luscinia
06-05-2007, 12:23 AM
For SD-card I think a Canon Powershot A5xx would be great combined with either Pentax K100D (image stabilization in the camera) or Nikon D40 with an image stabilized zoom glass (Nikon AF-S DX 55-200/4-5,6G ED VR or Nikon AF-S VR 70-300/4,5-5,6 G IF-ED).