PDA

View Full Version : lighting techniques for close ups

tortoise
12-16-2004, 09:35 AM
What do peole use for lighting close up shots? I need to get a diffusion of light, and the light needs to be as close to daylight as possible in terms of colour. I don't have very much money to spend though, so I can't afford pro lamps or anything.

Anyone able to help?

TheObiJuan
12-17-2004, 02:53 AM
I have a lamp with 3 heads and they are attached to the base with 2 feet of flexible metal tubing. I use the GE Reveal 75 Watt bulbs.
The flexible tubes allow me to position them as I see fit and the light allows my camera to capture actual colors.
This however was my method, I used what I had laying around and did not need any expensive equipment.
Good luck.

ktixx
12-20-2004, 05:57 PM
Personally I don't actually have any lighting, but I know that Ritz photo has some lights for sale. I am guessing that they are photo lights, but I have done no research on them, so they could just be regular lights. The link is below, they are a little over $105.00

http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=4111901

DigiDave
12-30-2004, 06:46 PM
I use GE reveal bulbs and full-spectrum daylight flourescents!

How close are you going to get? What are you shooting?

I specialize in TEEEEEEENY stuff and prefer the cooler flourescent tubes so they don't melt things!

Here is a sample;

http://www.productshots.com/dpreview/coins.jpg

PhilR.
12-30-2004, 07:57 PM
What do peole use for lighting close up shots? I need to get a diffusion of light, and the light needs to be as close to daylight as possible in terms of colour. I don't have very much money to spend though, so I can't afford pro lamps or anything.

Anyone able to help?

Get a catalog from B&H Photo and look at their light tents. These are designed to produce a diffuse light for macro photography. Use one outdoors, and you will get daylight color.

PhilR.

Bankedout
01-05-2005, 06:33 AM
I like the coin sample, thanks. I am very interested in macro photography also. Thanks for the tips on lighting.

Jim

D70FAN
01-05-2005, 08:35 AM

Anyone able to help?

The Ritz lighting kits mentioned by Ktixx work very well, and it's almost a cheap as kluging it together. I only do portraits 4 or 5 times a year and find these lighting kits very handy even to supplement natural light.

For macro shots you might try a diffusor made out of an old gallon milk jug with the bottom cut out to prefered length, and lights set up indirectly. I've tried this a few times and it worked great.