PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent external flash - would a rubber hammer help?

TWT
05-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Hi, got a bit of problem. Maybe you can help please?

Using an Olympus SP350, with two Bowens Esprit 500 flashes, one on the floor illuminating the back of the infinity curve and one above and behind the camera illuminating the floral bouquets, pictures, mugs, general tat that we are trying to photograph. The top one is slaved, the bottom connected to the SP350 via a cable. So far so good.

The SP350 flash is off. Press the button, subject illuminated from the rear and the front; nice pic for brochure.

Except...every now and then the flashes stop working!!!! :mad: I turn the SP350 internal flash back on, take a few (rubbish) pictures, turn the flash off again and SOMETIMES we are back to ext. flashes working and nice pics. Sometimes I have to take a couple for them to kick in.

Any ideas what the prob might be, before I throw the lot in the skip??!

TIA!

(SP350 set to M, 1/60, F3.0 or F2.8, -3.0. Using rechargeable AA x 2)

PS Be gentle - am total photo-muppet! :)

Bill Markwick
05-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Hi, got a bit of problem. Maybe you can help please?

Except...every now and then the flashes stop working!!!! :mad:

I think we've all been there. I assume you're using standard PC sync connectors, and I've had nothing but trouble from these for years and years. They often need a gentle squeeze with pliers to close the barrel part, and occasionally need the center pin cleaned with very fine sandpaper. Sometimes rotating them back and forth provides a self-cleaning action. And to add to the fun, I've found that lots of cables go intermittent as well, either from poor solder connections or the microscopic conductors they use.

I've noticed a small trend toward replacing the sync types with 1/8" audio plugs and jacks, although that doesn't help those of us stuck with the older type.

Maybe your rubber hammer idea was the best after all.:)

Regards,
Bill

TWT
05-29-2007, 02:13 AM
Many thanks Bill.

It could be the connection - the SP350 needs an adapter so will check that.

Probably with the rubber hammer. ;)